Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by howard chen <ho...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/26 18:15:00 UTC

[users@httpd] What expire value I should set?

Hello,

Consider currently I am using mod_expire to set a HTML file to 15
minutes expire.

The file change quite frequently, sometime maybe changed within 15
minutes so I want my user to see the change as soon as possible...
sometimes the file does not change even for 10 days!

So what expire value I should set?

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] What expire value I should set?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
howard chen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Consider currently I am using mod_expire to set a HTML file to 15
> minutes expire.
>
> The file change quite frequently, sometime maybe changed within 15
> minutes so I want my user to see the change as soon as possible...

Well, in that case set it to expire right away, or forbid caching.
The worst that could happen is that user's browsers would reload it each
time.  You have to know what's worse : having someone inadvertently
re-use a version that was replaced 2 minutes ago, or having the page
served again by your server even unnecessarily.