Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by David Wynter <da...@roamware.com> on 2002/09/24 15:38:00 UTC

First page very slow to load

Hi,

I have folk look at my site (www.roamware.com) and say that the first screen
takes a very long time to load (>1 minute). I realised that I had got used
to this and highlight the URL a second time and then hit <Enter>, this loads
the screen immediately. The only thing I can find that is out of the
ordinary is an exception showing in the catalina_log

e.g.

2002-09-24 14:25:07 HttpProcessor[8080][3] process.finish
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Current state = FLUSHED, new state =
CODING_END
	at
java.nio.charset.CharsetEncoder.throwIllegalStateException(CharsetEncoder.ja
va:933)
	at java.nio.charset.CharsetEncoder.encode(CharsetEncoder.java:529)

roamware_access_log looks normal. Any ideas on this. I note that a couple of
days ago Alexander Banthian posted a mail about the same exception, but mine
does not say anything about a socket being closed.

The site in on Mandrake 8.2 Linux, Sun JDK 1.4.0_01 and Tomcat 4.0.4 with
Turbine 2.1

Thanks

David Wynter
Director
roamware Ltd.
(+44) (0) 208 922 7539 B.
(+44) (0) 7879 605 706 M.
david@roamware.com

AW: First page very slow to load

Posted by Miessbrandt Gunter <mi...@ixtern.de>.
It's a bug in turbine 2.1. Look in the archive.
I think it apears only with tomcat > 4.0.1.

Gunter

Re: First page very slow to load

Posted by Alexander Banthien <al...@questech.de>.
Hi there,

we experienced the same error messages when using Suns SDK1.4. Here these messages
appeared, when hitting links before the page download was complete. By doing
several times this we could almost stop the server. (tomcat 3.2.x)
Somewhere I found that this is (can be) related to a not completely good error
handling mechanism in Tomcat 3.2 combined with a pickiness of the JDK when it is
supposed to write to already closed streams.

Not that I believe my writings help you, but it might be a direction. We solved it
by switching back to IBM 1.3 (seems faster anyway)

Alex

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Alexander Banthien

_______________________________________
Questech GmbH
Schwarzwaldstr. 19
79199 Kirchzarten

Fon: +49 (0)7661 90 35-15
Fax: +49 (0)7661 90 35-20
www.questech.de

Re: AW: First page very slow to load

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
I've had a few similar issues (not identical) with Turbine 2.1.   My two
problems were (1) Getting an error message "Infinite Redirect detected" in
the log and then nullpointerexceptions.  and (2) after a timeout, clicking
an action went to a page "Access Forbidden!" instead of my error page.

Updating to Turbine 2.2b2 solved them.  (There was some complicated and
apparently buggy logic in the Turbine servlet regarding redirection that
has been removed).

WILL

Posted by David Wynter <da...@roamware.com>.
Hi Dave,

Yes I did. They said that the problem with the redirect was not going to be
fixed. I thought the patch sorted it out. Now I have upgarded to 4.1.12 and
could not get the connector to work, it is a pain having to build it from
source. I also upgraded to Apache 2 from 1.3.23. I built the connector OK
but now have to work out the workers2.properties file how to load mod_jk I
think. It is confusing what has to be done, are mod_jkl and coyote the same
or different? Boy, they sure make it hard and the documentation is dense.

David

Posted by Miessbrandt Gunter <mi...@ixtern.de>.
Look at