Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by se...@yahoo.com on 2007/03/07 17:43:42 UTC

Subversion Question

Hi,

I have a question on SVN.

First, we are converting CVS to SVN. One of our process is that we have a
production system where the code are checked out from CVS using a shared
account. This shared account is not allowed to commit changes to CVS.
However, if a bug is found and it can be fixed right away, a developer can
fix the file in the working directory and commit it to CVS using the
project's working directory by overriding CVSROOT, for example:

Shared account checkout the files:
$ cvs -d sharedaccount@host checkout <file>

Developer committing a fixed code:
$ cvs -d developer1@host commit -m "comment" <file>

Is there a similar way to do this in SVN?

Thanks,
Sergio

Re: Subversion Question

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/7/07, sergs_castillo@yahoo.com <se...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question on SVN.
>
> First, we are converting CVS to SVN. One of our process is that we have a
> production system where the code are checked out from CVS using a shared
> account. This shared account is not allowed to commit changes to CVS.
> However, if a bug is found and it can be fixed right away, a developer can
> fix the file in the working directory and commit it to CVS using the
> project's working directory by overriding CVSROOT, for example:
>
> Shared account checkout the files:
> $ cvs -d sharedaccount@host checkout <file>
>
> Developer committing a fixed code:
> $ cvs -d developer1@host commit -m "comment" <file>
>
> Is there a similar way to do this in SVN?

What access method are you using?

When working on a shared server like you're describing, I prefer to
explicitly pass my credentials to svn anytime I perform an operation
to eliminate any possible bad assumptions about what svn user ID
should be used.

svn <operation> <parameters> --username=USER --password=PASS

Re: Subversion Question

Posted by Duncan Booth <du...@suttoncourtenay.org.uk>.
Paul <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/7/07, sergs_castillo@yahoo.com <se...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Developer committing a fixed code:
>> $ cvs -d developer1@host commit -m "comment" <file>
>>
>> Is there a similar way to do this in SVN?
>>

> svn commit --no-auth-cache --username developer -m "comment" filename
>
> This will prompt the developer for their password, but the username
> and password will not be stored (--no-auth-cache)

If you have a subversion checkout on a production system (as the OP
said), then I would strongly advise making sure the subversion config
file has:

[auth]
store-auth-creds = no

otherwise you (or someone else) is bound to forget the --no-auth-cache
option someday. We use an account with read-only access to do the
initial checkout with store-auth-creds turned on, then disable it for
all further access.

There is a slight problem with this scheme if you forget to supply the
username as a command line argument. When you do a commit it will prompt
for an alternative username/password. Unforunately (at least for https:
protocol) it then fails to commit so you have to rerun the command with
the missing arguments.

Re: Subversion Question

Posted by Paul <al...@gmail.com>.
On 3/7/07, sergs_castillo@yahoo.com <se...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Developer committing a fixed code:
> $ cvs -d developer1@host commit -m "comment" <file>
>
> Is there a similar way to do this in SVN?

svn commit --no-auth-cache --username developer -m "comment" filename

This will prompt the developer for their password, but the username
and password will not be stored (--no-auth-cache)

RE: Subversion Question

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.
Look into the "svn switch" command maybe?