Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by rott <ro...@buckeye-express.com> on 2004/03/21 04:41:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Protecting Your Images

Im using apache 2.0.47 on a win2000 Pro  computer and I want to protect my
gif's and jpeg's I found this nice code for doing that but every time I
start apache I get and error from apache
RewriteCond: bad flag delimiters

 the code is found here
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/10825_1132731_4

SetEnvIfNoCase Referer !"^http://my.apache.org/" not_local_ref=1
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI ".(gif|jpg)" is_image=1
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond $ {ENV:not_local_ref} =1
RewriteCond $ {ENV:is_image} =1
RewriteRule .* - [Last,Env=poach_attempt:1]
CustomLog logs/poachers_log CLF env=poach_attempt

I have googled for it and found some things but nothing that really helped
me fix it

Dale

Re: [users@httpd] Protecting Your Images

Posted by "Jack L. Stone" <ja...@sage-one.net>.
At 10:39 PM 3.21.2004 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Jack L. Stone wrote:
>> Joshua: That was/is very useful info and I have the "FilesMatch" part
>> working well. But, I thought I'd add the logging feature too, but I must
>> hve something wrong on that one. It creates the "poachers.log" just fine,
>> but nothing is logged. I figured it might be the "RewriteRule" flags just
>> above the last line for the "CustomLog" line.
>>

>A couple points:
>
>1. If you want help, you'll need to show *exactly* what configuration you
>are using, along with relevant log entries.  You'll probably also need to
>active the RewriteLog to see what mod_rewrite is doing.  (See the
>mod_rewrite docs.)
>
>2. Do you really need this poachers.log?  What do you expect to get out of
>it, and can't you get that same information by looking through your
>existing error and access logs?
>
>3. I probably wouldn't mix mod_rewrite and mod_setenvif like that, because
>you get into trouble if the modules run in the wrong order.  I would
>either do it entirely in mod_rewite, as in:
>
>RewriteEngine On
>RewriteCond ${HTTP_REFERER} ^http://my\.apache\.org/
>RewriteRule .*\.(gif|jpg) - [F,L,env=poach:1]
>CustomLog logs/poachers_log combined env=poach
>
>or I'd do it entirely with mod_setenvif:
>
>SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "^http://my\.apache\.org/" local_ref=1
><FilesMatch "\.(gif|jpg)">
>   Order Allow,Deny
>   Allow from env=local_ref
>   SetEnvIf local_ref 1 poach=1
></FilesMatch>
>CustomLog logs/poachers_log combined env=poach
>
>Joshua.

Being my first time to use this technique, I was curious to see what useful
info the logs might present as a separate log file. Indeed, while I
experimented last night, I found that the info in the error log was very
revealing and sufficient.

I tried your method doing it entirely with mod_setenvif and it worked fine,
but remeoved that as the <FileMatch> is really enough for my needs.

Many thanks for your advice, Joshua!

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net
http://www.sage-one.net
jackstone@sage-one.net

Re: [users@httpd] Protecting Your Images

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteCond ${HTTP_REFERER} ^http://my\.apache\.org/
> RewriteRule .*\.(gif|jpg) - [F,L,env=poach:1]
> CustomLog logs/poachers_log combined env=poach

Of course, you'd need a ! in front of the ^http://... to get negation.

I never claimed I tested these...

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Protecting Your Images

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Jack L. Stone" <ja...@sage-one.net>.
At 10:56 PM 3.20.2004 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, rott wrote:
>
>> Im using apache 2.0.47 on a win2000 Pro  computer and I want to protect my
>> gif's and jpeg's I found this nice code for doing that but every time I
>> start apache I get and error from apache
>> RewriteCond: bad flag delimiters
>
>No need to post the same question three times.  Especially when I answered
>it the first time:
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=107971312428267&w=2
>
>Joshua.

Joshua: That was/is very useful info and I have the "FilesMatch" part
working well. But, I thought I'd add the logging feature too, but I must
hve something wrong on that one. It creates the "poachers.log" just fine,
but nothing is logged. I figured it might be the "RewriteRule" flags just
above the last line for the "CustomLog" line.

These are being placed in the vhost container.

Running Apache-1.3.27 on FBSD-4.8.

Any further tips appreciated! Thanks in advance.

PS: This is my first use of the mod_rewrite

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net
http://www.sage-one.net
jackstone@sage-one.net

Re: [users@httpd] Protecting Your Images

Posted by rott <ro...@buckeye-express.com>.
sorry i never got it i thought it never made it threw and i didnt see your
reply to it sorry

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.