Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Joseph Bradley <jo...@databricks.com> on 2017/02/07 00:13:40 UTC

PSA: Java 8 unidoc build

Public service announcement: Our doc build has worked with Java 8 for brief
time periods, but new changes keep breaking the Java 8 unidoc build.
Please be aware of this, and try to test doc changes with Java 8!  In
general, it is stricter than Java 7 for docs.

A shout out to @HyukjinKwon and others who have made many fixes for this!
See these sample PRs for some issues causing failures (especially around
links):
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/16741
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/16604

Thanks,
Joseph

--

Joseph Bradley

Software Engineer - Machine Learning

Databricks, Inc.

[image: http://databricks.com] <http://databricks.com/>

Re: PSA: Java 8 unidoc build

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
(One more.. https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/15999 this describes some
more cases that might easily be mistaken)

Re: PSA: Java 8 unidoc build

Re: PSA: Java 8 unidoc build

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
+1 for all the great work going in for this, HyukjinKwon, and +1 on what Sean says about "Jenkins builds with Java 8" and we should catch these nasty javadoc8 issue quickly.

I think that would be the great first step to move away from java 7

_____________________________
Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Re: PSA: Java 8 unidoc build

Posted by "Shixiong(Ryan) Zhu" <sh...@databricks.com>.
@Sean, I'm using Java 8 but don't see these errors until I manually build
the API docs. Hence I think dropping Java 7 support may not help.

Right now we don't build docs in most of builds as building docs takes a
long time (e.g.,
https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/job/spark-master-docs/2889/ says
it's 1.5 hours).

Re: PSA: Java 8 unidoc build