Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Me Myself and I <st...@live.co.uk> on 2012/04/12 12:02:44 UTC

Picture shortfalls for HWPFDocument

"...but we need a balance between ability to reach
every (even unsupported) property of CHP and provide understandable
API"

I don't understand what this comment means.  What sort
of use is POI to users out there with things like the setFTCFE function
they way the are in 3.8 stable?

I can't understand it at all, though!  At the bottom of this message, are they
key sorts of changes that I just have to be able to have.  It isn't always
best to just edit a template .doc word file.  It doesn't make sense
for many users to be able to read a picture out of a word file, but
never to be able to insert one in java.  Is there anyone involved
who can say something positive about this?

:)

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi.

1. 2. There will be no simple API to work with Word documents, esp.
not for modifying it. There is a very big distance between Java
BufferedImage and MS Word Picture structure (i.e. PICFAndOfficeArtDat
structure). Inserting a picture method will need to create some
EscherRecord structures with a lot of parameters, and linking such new
records with CharacterRun. I can't say it's hard task, but it doesn't
look like what standard API shall provide.

I will try to create example thought, but it will not be simple.

3. The usage of setFtcfe is not user friendly, as well as for
everything in HWPF. But we need a balance between ability to reach
every (even unsupported) property of CHP and provide understandable
API. The FTCFE is just a simple mapping to character SPRM 0x4A50,
description of which you can find here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd947480%28v=office.12%29.aspx

And FontTable can be accessed via HWPFDocument.getFontTable()

--
Sergey Vladimirov

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My questions here all pertain to the Microsoft Word Doc,

HWPFDocument world of POI. In the 3.8 release:

-The Picture class has not been updated, apparently, to deal
with the BufferedImage (Image class).  Because of this,
there is no java related way to set up an image object from a file
for HWPF, or to get or set the size.

-Neither CharacterRun, Paragraph or PicturesTable have been updated
to allow inserting a Picture at a particular character position index
(or the cursorposition) in a CharacterRun or Paragraph point in the
HWPFDocument.  There is no way to have a floating image either; based at
an index position, but in a layer that may hover over text or other images
(or hovering images) somewhere on the page or document.

-When using the setFtcfe function, there is no statement of various ints
to Fonts correspondence, and which fonts (ints are recognised).  Where is this?
These 3 shortfalls are preventing my reliance and use of the java POI library.

-Is there any code available to get around these issues?  What plans
are there to update these discrepencides in the future?  What are the plans?

--Zachary1234, myself.