Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2014/08/21 19:07:04 UTC

[VOTE] Fork branch '4.0' into branches '4.0' and '4.1'

The latest code on branch 4.0 builds as version 4.1.0.

I propose the following series of actions:

- Create a new branch 4.1 at the revision where the version in the POM was
updated to 4.1.0.

- Reset the branch 4.0 head to the version prior, with a force push

Let's use lazy consensus (
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus) and run this
vote for 72 hours. If nobody objects I will take the above actions Monday
8/24.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Fork branch '4.0' into branches '4.0' and '4.1'

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.
IMO having releases on a 4.0 branch that do not start with 4.0 is very
confusing.

By moving to the 4.1 branch we are essentially saying the 4.0.x line is
essentially only there for emergency bug fixes. With your logic above, even
if the person found a bug on their 4.0.x line they would be able to upgrade
to the latest 4.X branch seamlessly.

4.1 should not be incompatible with 4.0 - by the semantic naming Phoenix is
currently using (and your example above). I don't really see any reason why
we couldn't change it.

This is really more of a semantic change, rather than any more actual work.

However, by doing this now we set ourselves up for having multiple branches
later that could be managed by different RMs if people have issues.

If someone else wants to maintain the 4.0 branch, then I think they should
be able to. Apache and Phoenix are volunteer efforts, so people can choose
to stop working on things when they want or to pick up things that others
have left behind.

-------------------
Jesse Yates
@jesse_yates
jyates.github.com

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
@Andrew - I wish we had used those names in the first place, as I
agree it would avoid the confusion you mentioned.

@Jesse - you make a good point - this is a volunteer effort. Just
speaking for myself, I don't have the bandwidth to commit any changes,
do any support, provide any documentation, coordinate any releases, do
regression testing, advertise/market, or do any emergency bug fixes to
any more branches.

Either of these changes have downstream effects: updating jenkins
builds, changing documentation (or even documenting existing
process/branching and release strategy as in the email). If someone
wants to volunteer and make these changes (post 3.1/4.1 release,
please), I'm +1.

Thanks,
James

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.