Posted to user@openwebbeans.apache.org by Remo Meier <re...@adnovum.ch> on 2017/10/01 16:56:34 UTC

Meecrowave Roadmap

Hi

I would have a number of questions and feedback about Meecrowave. I may
also be able to contribute a few things.

1. Is there any alignment planned with EE4J or micro-profile? In
contrast to other approaches like Wildfly Swarm, Meecrowave for sure is
a big step in the right direction for JEE IMHO.

2. Will it stay a openwebbeans thing? Or are you also interested in
contributions from other JEE vendors? My company is married to Weld &
Hibernate for example, but likes Deltaspike, Tomcat and CXF from the
Apache side. With CDI and Jigsaw I would expect something like this to
work in the future with JEE.

3. Asciidoc for documentation would be great.

4. I'm not so familiar with the Apache guidelines regarding
collaboration. But Git, Github presence, Travis, Sonar, Gitter or
similar would be great to have.

5. In terms of missing features and contributions, for example JSR 352
Batch (like jberet), Weld, metrics, health checks, configuration API,
Hibernate and opinionated Gradle plugins to create RPMs (with systemd
integration) and docker would be great to have.

Regards Remo

Re: Meecrowave Roadmap

Posted by Remo Meier <re...@adnovum.ch>.
Thx for all the answers and pointers. No more questions currently, have
to investigate a bit further, maybe just some input:

1. I did not notice the documentation is already in asciidoc. The single
page flavor of it could potentially be nice to have (like
http://www.crnk.io/documentation/).

2. "as it is pretty tightly bound to OWB." & "but a highly integrated
asf stack". It would be nice to see that EE4J or microprofile align a
bit in this direction. Standardizing the API from Meecroware and make it
accessible to all the vendors as one possibility. Spring Boot and
Dropwizard let the way in the area and are successful. And with Jigsaw
Java 9 moves in this direction as well. As you mentioned that seems
currently unlikely. Maybe one of the vendors opening up a bit could be a
start... :-) Or start to facilitate these manual approaches like Hammock
a bit more by splitting up the JTA spec and implementations (I barely
see anybody making use of the distributed features), avoiding
dependencies to APIs like JNDI or having a configuration/health/metrics
spec in place.

I will look at bit more into hammock and MB. But e.g. the depenency to
Hibernate for our applications is high. So flexibility is one of the
important things for us.

Regards Remo

Re: Meecrowave Roadmap

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.