Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2013/07/02 13:41:00 UTC

Re: detecting printer options selected

Hi,

Am 28.06.2013 16:54, schrieb James Green:
> Hi,
>
> This may be the wrong place to ask but we've written a Java app that
> receives a print job via Windows port redirection and converts the input
> (postscript) into PDF for further manipulation.
>
> Our problem is that the printer properties dialog in Windows allows the
> choice of colour vs black & white, and duplex vs no duplex but once our
> application has received the job we have no obvious way of telling what was
> previously selected.
>
> Any ideas on this matter would be appreciated!
Hmmm, I'm not sure that I got your point. To receive the print job means you
got some sort of stream containing the ps file. Assuming that I'm right, the
only chance to determine any printer properties is to analyze the ps file. The
ps printer driver may add same ps commands to activate duplex printing or to
limit the output to b&w.

> Thanks,
>
> James

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: detecting printer options selected

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 02.07.2013 14:51, schrieb James Green:
> That's pretty much where we are, except I've not really found much to parse
> through a postscript file with. I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel
> particularly when dealing with something so complex.
>
> One workaround we had was to introduce custom DLLs provisioning individual
> printers - one colour and one black and white - for people to select. These
> can then invoke the java application with relevant flags but doesn't really
> help with duplex/non-duplex.
Searching for "postscript duplex" leads among others to the following

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/print/prt08-PSPrinting/ar01s05.html

> On 2 July 2013 12:41, Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 28.06.2013 16:54, schrieb James Green:
>>
>>   Hi,
>>>
>>> This may be the wrong place to ask but we've written a Java app that
>>> receives a print job via Windows port redirection and converts the input
>>> (postscript) into PDF for further manipulation.
>>>
>>> Our problem is that the printer properties dialog in Windows allows the
>>> choice of colour vs black & white, and duplex vs no duplex but once our
>>> application has received the job we have no obvious way of telling what
>>> was
>>> previously selected.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on this matter would be appreciated!
>>>
>> Hmmm, I'm not sure that I got your point. To receive the print job means
>> you
>> got some sort of stream containing the ps file. Assuming that I'm right,
>> the
>> only chance to determine any printer properties is to analyze the ps file.
>> The
>> ps printer driver may add same ps commands to activate duplex printing or
>> limit the output to b&w.
>>
>>   Thanks,
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> BR