Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/02 21:59:51 UTC

[VOTE] Mailets -> Mailet subproject

though the mailet API has been moved to the mailet subproject, mailet
implementations are still contained in the server codebase. managing
mailets as part of the mailet sub-project will allow releases to be
made independent of the JAMES server, reduce the learning time
required before developers can contribute, improve modularity in the
JAMES core and allow libraries to be shared between different JAMES
versions (allowing bugs to be fixed in one place).

though some mailets are too tightly coupled to be moved immediately,
others  can be moved with no or minimal effort. some extra work will
be required to produce a good website but these practicality can be
resolved once consensus about the principle has been established.

proposal
--------------
establish the ideal that mailets should not depend on JAMES and should
be managed within the mailet subproject rather than the server
project. a home for mailets should be created within the mailet
subproject and mailets gradually moved to it over time.

here's my +1

- robert

-- 8<------------------------------------------------------------------
[ ] +1 Move Mailets to Mailet subproject
[ ] +0 Sounds reasonable
[ ] -0 Sounds unreasonable
[ ] -1 Do not move Mailets to Mailet subproject

Re: [VOTE] Mailets -> Mailet subproject

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.

> [x] +1 Move Mailets to Mailet subproject

Vincenzo

Re: [VOTE] Mailets -> Mailet subproject

Posted by Søren Hilmer <sh...@widetrail.dk>.
+1
--
Søren Hilmer, M.Sc., M.Crypt.
wideTrail            Phone: +45 25481225

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Mailets -> Mailet subproject

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Mittwoch, den 05.03.2008, 20:59 +0000 schrieb Robert Burrell Donkin:
> i think we have a reasonable consensus to push on with this change
>
> i count +1's from
> Robert Burrell Donkin
> Stefano Bagnara
> Serge Knystautas
> Soren Hilmer
> Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini
> Steve Brewin
> Noel J. Bergman
>
> please jump in with any corrections
>
> i'll start some threads discussing details...
>
> - robert

Hi Robert,

you missed my +1 ;-)

bye
Norman

[RESULT][VOTE] Mailets -> Mailet subproject

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  [X] +1 Move Mailets to Mailet subproject

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501
e. sergek@lokitech.com

Re: [VOTE] Mailets -> Mailet subproject

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
[X] +1 Move Mailets to Mailet subproject

Stefano

RE: [VOTE] Mailets -> Mailet subproject

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Robert,

It sounds OK, so +1 in general, but with all of the refactoring, we've
making it increasingly difficult to compare versions of JAMES.  This would
not be so bad if we had ever made a stable baseline prior to the
refactorings, but instead we started with unstable baselines and refactored,
meaning that we will have to do considerable manual comparison between the
only known stable JAMES code (2.3.0) with its known defects and the current
trunk(s) for JAMES and Mailets.

	--- Noel