Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Christiaan Lamprecht <ch...@googlemail.com> on 2007/10/11 23:05:27 UTC

Open threads limit

Is there a hard limit (i.e. not performance related) to the number of
concurrent threads JMeter can keep open? (e.g. maximum number of
file-descriptors per process allowed) In the example below a
thread/user only runs for 10 seconds. One new thread is created every
second and so there are always 10 threads open/active at any one time.
Is there a hard limit to the number of concurrent threads JMeter can
keep open like this?

Test Plan
 Thread Group (users 100, ramp 100, count 100)
    HTTP Request HTTPClient (SSL request - KeepAlive enabled)
Uniform Random Timer (Offset 100, dev 2)

PS: I'm running JMeter on Linux

Thanks again
Christiaan

Re: Open threads limit

Posted by Christiaan Lamprecht <ch...@googlemail.com>.
> Not sure if KeepAlive works for SSL, but if it does, then you should
> ensure that the last request in the thread has the this disabled.

Did some KeepAlive tests and for the following Test Plan exactly 6 new
SSL sessions are created and each one is re-used for it's 20 requests.

Test Plan (Run each Thread group separately)
 Thread Group (users 5, ramp 5, count 20)
   HTTP Request HTTPClient (SSL request - KeepAlive enabled)
 Thread Group (users 1, ramp 1, count 20)
   HTTP Request HTTPClient (SSL request - KeepAlive enabled)
Uniform Random Timer (Offset 100, dev 10)

So it seems like KeepAlive works for SSL and I think it has the
desired effect that you suggested??

Thanks again
Christiaan

Re: Open threads limit

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/10/2007, Christiaan Lamprecht <ch...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is there a hard limit (i.e. not performance related) to the number of
> concurrent threads JMeter can keep open? (e.g. maximum number of
> file-descriptors per process allowed)

JMeter does not apply any limits; the OS may.