Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/19 04:48:30 UTC

Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices

Hey Guys,

I think one of the goals for our documentation
should be to separate the formatting and the content,
so that content can easily be reformatted / sliced
diced...
thus we maximize our content management flexibility.

I thought this could be accomplished by just using
wiki markup as the markup standard.

So I started reading up on wiki markup.  It turns out
there's different wiki markup conventions.

For instance Confluence uses

h1.
h2.
etc.

for sections.

The mozilla wiki and I think most other wikis use

==Section1==
===SubSection1===

For sections.

So say down the road we want to turn our documentation
into XML for whatever reason.

Do we need to write a special confluence wiki markup
parser now?

Right now is a good time to put some thought into how
we markup our documentation, before we have a mountain
of it :-)

Does anyone know of an easy to use "Universal" markup
standard?

I think we are trying to get this on confluence, so
ideally it would be easy to integrate the two.

Can we upload regular html pages into confluence for
display?

If so we can use whatever markup we please and just
upload the pages.

Personally I'd like to see all documentation in
something like the Eclipse Help System, which is easy
to search and well organized.

Cheers,
- Ole

Sponsored Link

$420k for $1,399/mo.
Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

Re: Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Yeah - Whoa!

Nice work.

OK - Since no-one officially told me to "Shaaaattt
Up!!" yet (I think I'm getting close though :-) ),
I'm  going to bug everyone to look at this link.

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Cookbook+Documentation+Template

It's just a sample cookbook like template with
instructions for how to use it.

I'll be using this to document the JPackage RPM
Plugin, and just about everything else once the Plugin
is outta hea.

At the bottom of the template in the

Related Material

section

there's a link to my first "Cookbook" page on creating
a JPackage RPM project using the JPacage RPM
Archetype.

Cheers,
- Ole

--- Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Ersin Er wrote:
> > On 11/20/06, Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:

> mentioned.

> main

> does this with MINA. Ersin
> it will not be
> >> sufficient
> other formats in the
> format (as Emmanuel has
> >> >

> >> Yep I agree with both points regarding focus on
> content and the use of
> >> the same URL rewriting that MINA has utilized.
> >>
> >> Ersin since you're involved with the infra folks
> can you look into what
> >> it would take to do the same with the directory
> site?
> >
> > We already did it. It's really simple.
> >
> > http://directory.apache.org/TEST/
> >

> Nice!!!
>
> Let's get the whole site doing this whoa!!!
> Alex

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$310k for $999/mo. Calculate new payment!

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin

Re: Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.
Ole Ersoy wrote:

> One more example consideration that Stefan mentioned.
>
> The Content needs to go from the wiki to the main
> apache site...eventually...
>
> How does this process happen?

As a quick solution, I like the way Trustin does this with MINA. Ersin
has already elaborated how it works. Of course it will not be sufficient
if we also want to have the documentation in other formats in the
future. But currently the focus is content, not format (as Emmanuel has
explained).

Greetings, Stefan

Re: Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
So,

To simplify all the stuff I just said :-)

Here's my recommendation for documentation production:

A) Write the documentation in the cwiki format
B) Extract a template out of the format (Sort of like
extracting an interface from a java implementation
file)
C) Make the template the standard for writing that
type of documentation that you just wrote.
D) The first documentation that you just wrote becomes
the example for how to use the template.
E) Supply the template along with template writing
conventions like these:

http://www.mozilla.org/contribute/writing/guidelines

Benefit:
We can easily create a "Model" that fits the template
so that the content can be reformatted and inserted
into other documents (Book PFD, Apache Site, Eclipse
Documentation System, ADS Wish List to Code system,
etc.)

Risk:
If everyone does the documentation their own random
way then to achieve the benefit listed we could end up
tripling to quadrupling the total effort required
(Probably a conservative estimate).  Just imagine if
Stefan writes one document one way and Ersin write
another document a different way and we want to
consolidate it and put it on the Apache site so that
it looks professional.

http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiMarkupStandard

> > > easing

> "Lowest
> > > transition,

> > and
> > > map
> > > bigger
> > > rules
> > the

> > > requirement
> > > heading

> > > try
> > that
> > > we

=== message truncated ===

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
One more example consideration that Stefan mentioned.

The Content needs to go from the wiki to the main
apache site...eventually...

How does this process happen?

It should have some simple rules so that it could be
automated.

So if all the content is captured in a standardized
content model, it makes this easy.

In order for this to happen there needs to be content
model that backs up templates we are using.

There can be mini content models ... one per template.

This lets us focus on each template and how to map it
to the target media we want the content to go to.

This also lets us focus documentation guidelines on a

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
> [...]

> > numbers, etc., if we are using these.
> >
> > One way to approach this is for each one of us to
> try
> > to write down some documentation conventions that
> we
> > are following when writing the documentation.
> >
> > If we all use a template page for this we could
> find a
> > common intersection that everyone agrees upon.
> >
> > Another thing to consider is having standardized
> > templates for writing on specific topics.
> >
> > Like a cookbook type template with standardized
> > headings.
> >
> > This makes it really easy for someone to writeup a
> > topic really quick without really having to thing
> > about markup or what the markup semantics should
> be.
> >
> > wdyt?
> >

> > --- Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > OK cool - Sounds like we're on top of it!

=== message truncated ===

Sponsored Link

Online degrees - find the right program to advance your career.
Www.nextag.com

Re: Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin

Re: Standardized Documentation Markup and Best Practices

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ole,