Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jonathan Roy <ro...@idle.com> on 1998/05/06 06:32:30 UTC

general/2187: web server running 1 hour ahead of the server itself

>Number:         2187
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       web server running 1 hour ahead of the server itself
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

  DATE_LOCAL in an ssi echo command was printing May 6 when it was still May 5. Couldn't
figure out what was wrong or how to change the effective time zone of the server,
so we just restarted it. error_log has:

[Wed May  6 00:21:15 1998] [notice] httpd: caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Tue May  5 23:21:31 1998] [notice] Apache/1.3b5 configured -- resuming normal operations

now. We were in EST/EDT up until 4-5 months ago, so I thought maybe the server was set to
the wrong time zone. However, it appears this was a one time problem and not
a recurring one. No idea if it has happened in the past, I don't believe
so. But it did tonight. We use DATE_LOCAL and ssi to set a filename to print the current
image for the day, and we had a broken link tonight after 11pm since the web server
was an hour ahead of the crontab that makes the files...
>How-To-Repeat:
I can't repeat it, it just happened out of the blue. Someone
suggested "they may call time twice and assume the first digit
doesn't change between them" but I have no idea myself. Our server isn't too fast
and has a slow startup from lots of fastcgi static processes. I restarted the
server with:
kill pid; sleep 2; /web/bin/httpd -f /web/conf/httpd
but that alone won't repeat it.
>Fix:
I restarted the server and the time (or timezone) was correct.