Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org> on 2017/09/27 07:41:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] Discontinuing uploads to SourceForge entirely

Before the Incubator, Guacamole was originally hosted on SourceForge. The
old SourceForge project has long since been closed down, but I've been
continuing to copy release artifacts to the old SourceForge download
locations to give users a grace period to migrate to the new location.

My expectation was (and possibly still is) that these downloads will
gradually dwindle. In reality, it seems like they've leveled off at around
~2k downloads / week, and the point was raised on JIRA that maintaining
such compatibility may actually be doing more harm than good:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-397?focusedCommentId=16181253&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16181253

Thoughts?

- Mike

Re: [DISCUSS] Discontinuing uploads to SourceForge entirely

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 3:41 AM, Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>
wrote:

> Before the Incubator, Guacamole was originally hosted on SourceForge. The
> old SourceForge project has long since been closed down, but I've been
> continuing to copy release artifacts to the old SourceForge download
> locations to give users a grace period to migrate to the new location.
>
> My expectation was (and possibly still is) that these downloads will
> gradually dwindle. In reality, it seems like they've leveled off at around
> ~2k downloads / week, and the point was raised on JIRA that maintaining
> such compatibility may actually be doing more harm than good:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-397?
> focusedCommentId=16181253&page=com.atlassian.jira.
> plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16181253
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - Mike

Hmmm...2K downloads per week is not an insignificant number.  So, on the
one hand, I hate to just cut off that many people from grabbing the code.

That said, I do see the point - it would be nice to have one central
location, and not have to maintain it, plus the added confusion for people
like Brian (or his acquaintances) who just have a script that grabs it.

Maybe for the next release you could just drop a text file for that release
in the downloads pointing people over to the Apache Incubator page, and
then slowly start phasing out the legacy releases that are hosted there?

It's not a great solution, but I'm not sure there is a great solution to
this one....

-Nick