Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/31 18:47:41 UTC

why system.vm.use.local.storage?

Why do we have the configuration system.vm.use.local.storage?  Why would
somebody care if they systemvm is on local storage?  I'm guessing the idea
here is if it's on local storage we can't bring it back in a host failure
situation?  But don't we just recreate the systemvm?

Darren

Re: why system.vm.use.local.storage?

Posted by Kelcey Jamison Damage <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
Well perhaps it should be a checkbox on the first zone wizard page, have it show up when the user selects 'use local storage'. it could say 'allow system VMs on local storage'.

I just find it annoying setting up a zone with local storage that I have to turn this setting on. If I have no shared storage, then system VMs won't deploy with out this parameter. It's just seems like a useless setting that might have been added because there is something else in the system that isn't working right.

Darren

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
basic networks dont really require that level of flexibility. Sure you
suffer a small dns/dhcp outage... So it definitely depends on the purpose
of the cloud, and services its going to provide. We cant negate the
flexibility local storage system vm's provides.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kelcey Jamison Damage <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
'shared local storage' should be read as shared storage :)

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.