Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ohaya <oh...@cox.net> on 2005/07/14 16:03:09 UTC

How to Replace Tomcat authentication?

Hi,

I've been looking into possibly replacing Tomcat's authentication with
our own functionality.  It looks like there use to be a class called
SimpleRealm in the older Tomcat versions that would have done the trick
if we replaced it, but I can't find any references to it in the latest
source that I downloaded.

Has anyone here done this before, and can you provide me to some
pointers as to where/how to get started with it with the current version
of Tomcat?

Thanks in advance!!

Jim

Re: How to Replace Tomcat authentication?

Posted by ohaya <oh...@cox.net>.

Bill Barker wrote:

> "ohaya" <oh...@cox.net> wrote in message news:42D6709D.DB54F292@cox.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been looking into possibly replacing Tomcat's authentication with
> > our own functionality.  It looks like there use to be a class called
> > SimpleRealm in the older Tomcat versions that would have done the trick
> > if we replaced it, but I can't find any references to it in the latest
> > source that I downloaded.
> >

> In TC versions > 3.x.x, the replacement is RealmBase (in
> org.apache.catalina.realm).  It's an abstract class, so you extend it with
> the functionality that you want.

Hi Bill,

Thanks!

I think that I've at least been able to get started with this, but
instead of RealmBase, I've JUST gotten a very (I mean, VERY) crude
JAASRealm example working, where I built my own JAASLoginModule, etc.
So far, it seems to be working ok, but I haven't really added any too
complicated yet...

Posted by ohaya <oh...@cox.net>.

Bill Barker wrote:

> "ohaya" <oh...@cox.net> wrote in message news:42D6709D.DB54F292@cox.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been looking into possibly replacing Tomcat's authentication with
> > our own functionality.  It looks like there use to be a class called
> > SimpleRealm in the older Tomcat versions that would have done the trick
> > if we replaced it, but I can't find any references to it in the latest
> > source that I downloaded.
> >

> In TC versions > 3.x.x, the replacement is RealmBase (in
> org.apache.catalina.realm).  It's an abstract class, so you extend it with
> the functionality that you want.

[Sorry everyone.  I'm resending this because it looks like I got a
bounce from
my previous attempts??  Jim]

Hi Bill,

Thanks!

I think that I've at least been able to get started with this, but
instead of RealmBase, I've JUST gotten a very (I mean, VERY) crude
JAASRealm example working, where I built my own JAASLoginModule, etc.
So far, it seems to be working ok, but I haven't really added any too
complicated yet...

Jim

P.S.  I forgot to ask:  Is this mailing list appropriate for questions
about this type of subject?  Or, is one of the other Tomcat lists more
appropriate?

I'll be needing to add more functionality to this, so I'm just
wondering?

Re: How to Replace Tomcat authentication?

Posted by ohaya <oh...@cox.net>.

Posted by ohaya <oh...@cox.net>.

Bill Barker wrote:

> "ohaya" <oh...@cox.net> wrote in message news:42D6709D.DB54F292@cox.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been looking into possibly replacing Tomcat's authentication with
> > our own functionality.  It looks like there use to be a class called
> > SimpleRealm in the older Tomcat versions that would have done the trick
> > if we replaced it, but I can't find any references to it in the latest
> > source that I downloaded.
> >

> In TC versions > 3.x.x, the replacement is RealmBase (in
> org.apache.catalina.realm).  It's an abstract class, so you extend it with
> the functionality that you want.

[Sorry everyone.  I'm resending this because it looks like I got a
bounce from
my previous attempts??  Jim]

Hi Bill,

Thanks!

I think that I've at least been able to get started with this, but
instead of RealmBase, I've gotten a very (I mean, VERY) crude JAASRealm
example working, where I built my own JAASLoginModule, etc.  So far, it
seems to be working ok, but I haven't really added any too complicated
yet...

Jim

P.S.  I forgot to ask:  Is this mailing list appropriate for questions
about this type of subject?  Or, is one of the other Tomcat lists more
appropriate?

I'll be needing to add more functionality to this, so I'm just wondering
if this is the right place for future questions?

Re: How to Replace Tomcat authentication?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.