Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andre Ambrosio <an...@eminit.com> on 2006/06/28 13:03:45 UTC

Problem integration Subversion with Apache

Hi all,

I have a RedHat with Apache2 already installed and working fine. I tried
to install Subversion using RPM but unsuccessful while it gave me
problems on my glibc (if someone know how to solve this one, it'll be
great). So I decided to install Subversion from the source, compiling it
with default settings. Everything was OK and SVNSERVE is working just
fine: I created a repository, can connect from a desktop, can play with
versioned files, etc.

But what I need the most is the Apache integration, and that's what I'm
being beat up. The Apache2 here is not installed in the default
directory and it doesn't have the APXS directory. The mod_dav_svn and
others couldn't be compiled so I can't set LoadModule in Apache.

I guess I have two possibilities and I appreciate if you could help:
1. workaround and install Subversion from RPM packages;
2. fix my Apache and complete Subversion installation.

Is there any other way? What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the reading! I appreciate any help!

Andre.

RE: Problem integration Subversion with Apache

Posted by Andre Ambrosio <an...@eminit.com>.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply! I'm running the exactly same system here.
Following your tip, I'm going to look forward the apache-apxs.rpm and
install here. I hope that works... if not, I post again! And if you
remember something else you did, please post too.

Regards,

Andre.

Sorry, I should have replied to the list...

What I had to do was  install the apxs rpm (to get the directory) and
then recompile Subversion using the --with-apxs=/path/to/apxs option.

I'm not looking at my install at the moment, but if this doesn't get you
any further, I'll try to dig in and provide more specifics.

BTW, I'm running RHEL3 with Apache 2.0.5x (can't remember exactly
which).

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Problem integration Subversion with Apache

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Re: Problem integration Subversion with Apache

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
You can use yum to do that too.  All yum does is find rpms in
specified repositories and install those rpms.  It just manages the
dependencies better than trying to do it yourself.

yum install httpd-devel

:-)

On 6/28/06, Andre Ambrosio <an...@eminit.com> wrote:
> Hi Kris,
>
> So what would you do? Try yumming things out ou fight with libraries,
> etc? I think it's better to do what you said: install httpd-devel.
>
> Thanks for your post!
>
> Andre.

Rob Wilkerson

RE: Re: Problem integration Subversion with Apache

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Andre Ambrosio wrote:
> [...]

Just out of curiosity, are you using yum to do your installs?  That gives you a pretty good look at what dependencies you need and does its best (which is usually pretty good) to get them installed for you.
 The downside is that the repositories for RHEL3 aren't really the best.  You can also use up2date in a similar manner if you have an RHN account.

On 6/28/06, Andre Ambrosio <an...@eminit.com> wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> I'm posting again to say that I'm following the Rob's tip and I got stuck again. Now the apache-apxs RPM ask me for the perl-base. So I downloaded a lot of versions of this but with none success. I have perl-5.8.5-12 installed, but when I try to install any perl-base RPM, it verbose that a lot os programs needs perl and don't let me install/upgrade.

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Problem integration Subversion with Apache

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
Just out of curiosity, are you using yum to do your installs?  That
gives you a pretty good look at what dependencies you need and does
its best (which is usually pretty good) to get them installed for you.
 The downside is that the repositories for RHEL3 aren't really the
best.  You can also use up2date in a similar manner if you have an RHN
account.

On 6/28/06, Andre Ambrosio <an...@eminit.com> wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> I'm posting again to say that I'm following the Rob's tip and I got stuck again. Now the apache-apxs RPM ask me for the perl-base. So I downloaded a lot of versions of this but with none success. I have perl-5.8.5-12 installed, but when I try to install any perl-base RPM, it verbose that a lot os programs needs perl and don't let me install/upgrade.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andre.

Rob Wilkerson

RE: Problem integration Subversion with Apache

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.

Posted by Andre Ambrosio <an...@eminit.com>.
Hi Nico,

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.