Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Joshua Levy <jo...@noosh.com> on 2001/03/28 04:28:30 UTC

more nits to pick

In order to use Velocity an engineer needs to import a
couple of different packages.  Even in the simple cases
described in the tutorials, you sometimes need:
import org.apache.velocity.* ;
import org.apache.velocity.runtime.* ;
or
import org.apache.velocity.* ;
import org.apapche.velocity.app.* ;

and so on.  It would be nice if (for the common cases),
an engineer using Velocity only had to import one package,
and that was org.apache.velocity.*.  At a minimum, I'd put
Velocity, VelocityContext, Template, and some Exceptions there.

Also, in looking at the AbstractContext stuff, and the example
which uses it (context_example), I don't see what is the results
of not implementing internalGetKeys or internalContainsKey.
The example has both of these stubbed out, but it would be nice
if the javadocs for AbstractContext explained how this limited the
resulting Context class.

Finally, a note about HTML in email:
I'm been through my mail client, looking for options to ensure that
this email is in plain text.  As I write this the toolbar assures me
that it is indeed "plain text".  So, if you think this email contains
HTML, please tell me exactly where, and cc to joshualevy@yahoo.com.
When you guys reply to me, I never see HTML code is my email, even in
cases where people complain about it.  The address above goes to
a different mail client, so I can see if my own has been hiding the
HTML formatting tags.  Thank you.

Joshua Levy

Re: more nits to pick

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
> Joshua Levy wrote:
>
> In order to use Velocity an engineer needs to import a
> couple of different packages.  Even in the simple cases
> described in the tutorials, you sometimes need:
> import org.apache.velocity.* ;
> import org.apache.velocity.runtime.* ;
> or
> import org.apache.velocity.* ;
> import org.apapche.velocity.app.* ;
>
> and so on.  It would be nice if (for the common cases),
> an engineer using Velocity only had to import one package,
> and that was org.apache.velocity.*.  At a minimum, I'd put
> Velocity, VelocityContext, Template, and some Exceptions there.

eh...

> Also, in looking at the AbstractContext stuff, and the example
> which uses it (context_example), I don't see what is the results
> of not implementing internalGetKeys or internalContainsKey.
> The example has both of these stubbed out, but it would be nice
> if the javadocs for AbstractContext explained how this limited the
> resulting Context class.

Good point.  They really aren't used internally, but I will note that.

> Finally, a note about HTML in email:
> I'm been through my mail client,

I assume a Microsoft client?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                               geirm@optonline.net

Re: more nits to pick

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/27/01 6:28 PM, "Joshua Levy" <jo...@noosh.com> wrote:

> In order to use Velocity an engineer needs to import a
> couple of different packages.  Even in the simple cases
> described in the tutorials, you sometimes need:
> import org.apache.velocity.* ;
> import org.apache.velocity.runtime.* ;
> or
> import org.apache.velocity.* ;
> import org.apapche.velocity.app.* ;
>
> and so on.  It would be nice if (for the common cases),
> an engineer using Velocity only had to import one package,
> and that was org.apache.velocity.*.  At a minimum, I'd put
> Velocity, VelocityContext, Template, and some Exceptions there.

I think this is a minor nit. I don't see a reason to break up our package
structuring for this.

> Finally, a note about HTML in email:
> I'm been through my mail client, looking for options to ensure that
> this email is in plain text.  As I write this the toolbar assures me
> that it is indeed "plain text".  So, if you think this email contains
> HTML, please tell me exactly where, and cc to joshualevy@yahoo.com.
> When you guys reply to me, I never see HTML code is my email, even in
> cases where people complain about it.  The address above goes to
> a different mail client, so I can see if my own has been hiding the
> HTML formatting tags.  Thank you.

I responded privately to this, but you are using M$ products which have bugs
in them and that is the problem...

When you subscribed to the list, there was a link on this page that
describes how to fix the problem...

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html

"If you are using Microsoft products to send email, there are several bugs
in the software that prevent you from turning off the sending of HTML email.
Please read this page as well..."

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/micromail.html

Is there something that I could have done differently that would have caused
you to read that page more carefully?

-jon