Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2008/01/22 05:36:02 UTC

Beginnings

Hey Gang,

The beginnings of Mahout @ Apache are starting to take place.  I put
up a placeholder site at http://lucene.apache.org/mahout/ (it may take
a bit to propagate through the ASF infrastructure) and also the wiki
at http://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/  (which gets exported every 50
minutes to:  http://lucene.apache.org/mahout/WIKI (and is, thus, where
all links to the Wiki from the site docs should point)

Couple of notes:
The site is checked in at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/site
.  Your first job once you have commit access will be to edit the site
and add your name to the "who we are" section.  I put me, Otis and
Erik up there, as their CLAs are all on file (hint, hint.)  Dawid, you
should have SVN access at some point tomorrow, since your CLA is
recorded.  Note, that you will have to use https for the SVN repo.
Feel free to ask questions.

The Site documentation uses Forrest 0.8 (http://forrest.apache.org).
To build it from the site directory:
 >forrest

To run and edit it live:
 >forrest run

To publish it:
 > forrest
 > cp -R build/site/* ./publish/

Then commit it to SVN.

The site will be published nightly by my crontab running on
people.apache.org (committers, you will have access to this machine).
It takes 30-60 minutes after exporting the changes (done at 4 in the
morning PST or so) to propagate out.

I requested a JIRA project, so we should have bug tracking in place
soon.

For confluence, I am not sure how we want the site setup just yet.  We
can either use it for official documentation, in which case all
contributors need to have a CLA on file (others can only comment) or
we can use it like Lucene's Wiki and let anyone add pages, but we can
never ship it w/ the official documentation.

Please feel free to get a confluence user and, especially those with a
CLA on file, let me know what your username is and I can add you to
the approved list for editing.

Time for bed!

Cheers,
Grant