Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by stan lee <le...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/17 03:44:38 UTC

what's the mechnism to determine the reducer number and reduce progress

When I run the sort job, I found when there are 70 reduce tasks running and
no one completed, the progress bar shows that it has finished about 80%, so
how the mapreduce mechnism to caculate this?

Also,  when I run a job, as we know, we can determine the number of total
reduce tasks through setNumReduceTasks() function, but how to determine the
reducer number(I mean the tasktracker number which run the reduce task)
being used?

Thanks!
Stan. Lee

Re:what's the mechnism to determine the reducer number and reduce progress

Posted by 原攀峰 <yp...@163.com>.
For a reduce task, the execution is divided into three phases, each of which accounts for 1/3 of the score:
• The copy phase, when the task fetches map outputs.
• The sort phase, when map outputs are sorted by key.
• The reduce phase, when a user-defined function is applied to the list of map outputs with each key.

在2010-05-17 09:44:38,"stan lee" <le...@gmail.com> 写道:

Posted by stan lee <le...@gmail.com>.
Thanks PanFeng, do you have more detailed explanation on this? Is it
caculated by how many reduce files has completed each phase?

Also, what's the answer for my second question? Thanks!

Posted by 原攀峰 <yp...@163.com>.