Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "john.vint" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/27 00:11:01 UTC

maven-eclipse-plugin Does not resolve workspace project name

When running the eclipse goal, the project name that gets set in the project
description may not be the project you will initially save it as.

For example, I create a project with some name.  I configure a pom to have a
different artifactId, groupId that do not relate to the project name I
originally configured it with.

When I run eclipse:eclipse the project name in the .project file will be the
artifactId (by default) despite the eclipse project name being something
different.

Now lets say we have a new project that depends on the project we just
created.  We run the eclipse goal on the new project, and with
useProjectReferences enabled, the classpath references the name of the
project based on the artifactID.

This causes a problem when eclipse tries to build new projects workspace
because the eclipse workspace project is one thing and the .project's
project is something completely different.

How come the maven-eclipse-plugin will never resolve the workspace project
name to the .project project name.  Or even offer a flag like
<useEclipseProjectName>true</useEclipseProjectName> to override the original
functionality?

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin Does not resolve workspace project name

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
john.vint wrote:

>> This is not m-e-p's problem. Stop renaming your projects if you want
>> to use m-e-p and use it to regenerate the .project files. Keep the
>> name as the artifactId, or change the artifactId in the pom to meet
>> your needs.
>
> Lets assume a person is working on two different version (two releases
> being
> developed in parallel).  They will both have the same artifact ID but
> eclipse forces a different project name.  I don't think asking m-e-p to
> offer this functionality is really an isnane request.

An alternative:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-
mojo.html#projectNameTemplate

- Jörg

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin Does not resolve workspace project name

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:34 AM, john.vint <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is not m-e-p's problem. Stop renaming your projects if you want
>> to use m-e-p and use it to regenerate the .project files. Keep the
>> name as the artifactId, or change the artifactId in the pom to meet
>> your needs.
>
> Lets assume a person is working on two different version (two releases being
> developed in parallel).  They will both have the same artifact ID but
> eclipse forces a different project name.  I don't think asking m-e-p to
> offer this functionality is really an isnane request.
>
> The eclipse:eclipse plugin has worked perfectly fine as I have used it minus
> this one issue.  The resolution was extremely easy.
>
> Including a new configuration parameter the method createEclipseWriterConfig
> just needs
>
>        if(evaluateArtifactsFromEclipseWorkspace){
>                        projectName = projectBaseDir.getName();
>        }
>
> Problem solved.

Sure, the other way to solve it is to have two workspaces, one for
each release you are working on.
And this doesn't require changes to the code.

The other benefit is that if you are using Ctrl+Shift+T to find
classes you only get the release you are working on.
I've tried using the one workspace with multiple releases and it drove me nuts.
(Your sanity may vary)

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin Does not resolve workspace project name

Posted by "john.vint" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 27/10/2010 1:28 PM, Wayne Fay wrote:
>> When I run eclipse:eclipse the project name in the .project file will be the
>> artifactId (by default) despite the eclipse project name being something
>> different.
> Yes, this is how m-e-p works. The .project file is overwritten by
> m-e-p and so you will lose all settings that you set up in Eclipse
> unless you also set them up in your pom via configuration:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.html
>
>> This causes a problem when eclipse tries to build new projects workspace
>> because the eclipse workspace project is one thing and the .project's
>> project is something completely different.
> This is not m-e-p's problem. Stop renaming your projects if you want
> to use m-e-p and use it to regenerate the .project files. Keep the
> name as the artifactId, or change the artifactId in the pom to meet
> your needs.
>
>> How come the maven-eclipse-plugin will never resolve the workspace project
>> name to the .project project name.  Or even offer a flag like
>> <useEclipseProjectName>true</useEclipseProjectName>  to override the original
>> functionality?
> In the last 180 days, there have been zero issues in MECLIPSE resolved.
> At the same time, 40 have been updated and 20 were created.
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE
>
> For all intents, m-e-p is dead. If you require this functionality,
> feel free to hack the plugin to add it and donate your changes back to
> be included in a future release -- but bear in mind there may never be
> another release. The last release was Feb 23, 2010 and before that was
> June 13, 2009.
>
> I suggest upgrading to m2eclipse:
> http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/
Or just move to Eclipse/STS(free) and get everything, all included.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 28/10/2010 9:35 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Ron Wheeler
> <rw...@artifact-software.com>  wrote:
>> It is hard to get enthusiastic about maintaining old software that has been
>> replaced by better stuff that is free.
> maven-eclipse-plugin works roughly 100% of the time here, but the
> m2eclipse plugin fails miserably with our maven project setup. And yes
> we tried the latest version. It always results in having to download
> and install vanilla eclipse.
>
>> Get Eclipse/STS and you have a much more current supported set of code and
>> everything that you need to develop with Maven.
> Meh. sounds like having a commercial stake in the project. I happen to
> like commandline mvn eclipse:eclipse without having to bloat my
> eclipse installation with unnecessary plugins—eclipse has trouble
> enough keeping up with the size of our projects.
No commercial interest.
It is free and I love getting everything I need installed in one
download. Just add Hibernate plug-in and I am set to go.
We used vanilla Eclipse for a few years but every time we installed a
new version we lost a day. Now we are done in1/2 an hour or less.

I will not say that it is a small download or does not include stuff
that I do not use.

I love the Maven tools.

>> You can also get training and commercial level support if you want it.
>> Why would anyone want to invest in older technology?
> Why is it older? Because you don't like command line tools? Happening
> to like command line tools make someone a dinosaur?
I am too old to be enamoured with command line tools. I first started
editing with Teco (after abandoning punched cards in the 60s). I can
still get around in vi.
I like editing XML by hand but prefer to use the POM GUI editor.
I like pointing and clicking and checking off some buttons to get Maven
to do what I want.

I guess that I regard "liking command line tools" as eccentric at most.
I am old enough to be careful with the word "dinosaur" in a forum that
caters to a younger high-tech crowd. :-)

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Wrong person.
I was not the person claiming that patches were not being deployed.

Ron

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Yup, it's in ASF svn, and if the project isn't willing to own it, they
should attic it.

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin Does not resolve workspace project name

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I agree, there are many plugins that Maven developers just don't look after and they should be ejected and taken out of the org.maven.plugins name space. Anything there people assume are maintained which simply is not the case.

On Oct 28, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

>> This is open source so no one is stopping you from creating a fork.
>
> Sorry to jump in but, in the Apache Committers' FAQ I read:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#committer-responsibilities
>
> <snip>
> Applying patches
> In order to grow and maintain healthy communities, committers need to
> discuss, review and apply patches submitted by volunteers. The
> Committers are also responsible for the quality and IP clearance of
> the code that goes into ASF repositories.
> </snip>
>
> If you don't want to apply patches to m.e.p, please deprecate it, move
> it to archive, and abandon it *explicitly*. Or, if you don't want it,
> you have the responsibility *at least* to discuss them.
> Otherwise, contributors and committers are simply wasting time.
>
> Antonio

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

  -- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin Does not resolve workspace project name

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> m-e-p works better than M2ECLIPSE in many cases. Further, you have no
> proof here that I can see that the m-e-p is dead. To quote the plugin

I am the one who said "for all intents, m-e-p is dead" based entirely
on JIRA activity and releases, as well as the existence of newer (and
largely perceived as superior) tooling that is now available if you
are using Maven and Eclipse.

> If someone posts a patch, I don't think there/s much evidence that it
> will be ignored.

I'm also the one who said to go ahead and hack it to add this
functionality and submit a patch. You may also end up supporting your
own internal release of this plugin indefinitely, so realize that
right up front.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Ron,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
We're not stopping you from taking it. Put it in Github and hack away.

On Oct 28, 2010, at 5:13 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> So how does one get ownership of the plugin? I've contributed 2
> patches with an implied promise that they would be included when the
> failing ITs on Barrie's workspace were resolved. Unfortunately that is
> the last of it.
>
> Why the constant commercials for the m2eclipse plugin? Instead why not
> ask for some interested developer to take over the
> maven-eclipse-plugin? Isn't this an open source community?
>
> Martijn
>
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When I run eclipse:eclipse the project name in the .project file will be the
>>> artifactId (by default) despite the eclipse project name being something
>>> different.
>>
>> Yes, this is how m-e-p works. The .project file is overwritten by
>> m-e-p and so you will lose all settings that you set up in Eclipse
>> unless you also set them up in your pom via configuration:
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.html
>>
>>> This causes a problem when eclipse tries to build new projects workspace
>>> because the eclipse workspace project is one thing and the .project's
>>> project is something completely different.
>>
>> This is not m-e-p's problem. Stop renaming your projects if you want
>> to use m-e-p and use it to regenerate the .project files. Keep the
>> name as the artifactId, or change the artifactId in the pom to meet
>> your needs.
>>
>>> How come the maven-eclipse-plugin will never resolve the workspace project
>>> name to the .project project name.  Or even offer a flag like
>>> <useEclipseProjectName>true</useEclipseProjectName> to override the original
>>> functionality?
>>
>> In the last 180 days, there have been zero issues in MECLIPSE resolved.
>> At the same time, 40 have been updated and 20 were created.
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE
>>
>> For all intents, m-e-p is dead. If you require this functionality,
>> feel free to hack the plugin to add it and donate your changes back to
>> be included in a future release -- but bear in mind there may never be
>> another release. The last release was Feb 23, 2010 and before that was
>> June 13, 2009.
>>
>> I suggest upgrading to m2eclipse:
>> http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/
>>
>> Wayne

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin Does not resolve workspace project name

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.