Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/21 21:55:29 UTC

Can Swizzle-Stream be removed?

Swizzle-Stream appears to be used in only two classes in openejb:

1. org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.JndiBuilder

   It is used in: public static class TemplatedStrategy, but this
class does not appear to be used.

2. org.apache.openejb.config.InitEjbDeployments

  This class is only used in /openejb-core/container/openejb-core/src/test,
 which appears to be unit tests, but not part of any shipped server.

Some server footprint could be saved here, but since the jar is only
43 KB, it may not be worth the effort...

Ted Kirby

Re: Can Swizzle-Stream be removed?

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 7/21/07, Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was talk on the geronimo dev list of trying to reduce the server
> footprint.  That was my  motivation for both the cross-post and
> attempt to remove the tool.  I have nothing against it! :)

Remove it after having such a move announced (rise an jira issue to
make it more visible) and a couple of days passes. It's not too far
away before Matt creates the 2.0 branch.

BTW, Geronimo has always been an open source project zoo* (integration
platform/umbrella) so crossposting will happen, but we should keep it
to the absolute minimum.

* zoo is used in a positive sense (Zero Operating Outage ;-))

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Can Swizzle-Stream be removed?

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.
There was talk on the geronimo dev list of trying to reduce the server
footprint.  That was my  motivation for both the cross-post and
attempt to remove the tool.  I have nothing against it! :)

Ted

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
To summarize from the discussion on the OpenEJB list, the answer is
no.  This jar is and the classes listed below are most definitely
used.  Even more importantly to Geronimo, they are a critical part of
the OpenEJB/Geronimo integration.

-dain

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jul 21, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Ted Kirby wrote:

> Swizzle-Stream appears to be used in only two classes in openejb:
>
> 1. org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.JndiBuilder
>
>   It is used in: public static class TemplatedStrategy, but this
> class does not appear to be used.

Definitely used and supports this feature:

  http://openejb.apache.org/jndi-names.html

The property "openejb.jndiname.strategy.class" allows these to be
switched out (JndiBuilder line 53) and if you look in the Geronimo
geronimo-openejb module's OpenEjbSystemGBean you can see that
property set as well as a custom value for "openejb.jndiname.format"

You have reminded me of a rather big mental todo which was we should
be using that strategy as our default too!  I should have filed a
jira cause I forgot.  Would have switched it over but we have all our
itest using the LegacyAddedSuffixStrategy as well as our examples.

> 2. org.apache.openejb.config.InitEjbDeployments
>
>  This class is only used in /openejb-core/container/openejb-core/
> src/test,
> which appears to be unit tests, but not part of any shipped server.

Sure it is.  See o.a.openejb.config.ConfigurationFactory line 125
where it's added to the deployment chain.  Geronimo also has this one
customized ("openejb.deploymentId.format") in it's
OpenEjbSystemGBean.  Not quite as documented yet, but basically the
same MO as the "openejb.jndiname.format"; you can set the format of
the deployment id for when it isn't explicitly set.

-David