Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/06 09:25:06 UTC

Spellchecker in Solr

Hi,

A month ago, the topic of a spell checker in Solr came up (c.f. http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@lucene.apache.org/msg01254.html ).

Has anyone made any progress with that?  If not, I'll have to do this to scratch my own itch.
Because I'm in a hurry with this, I think I will go with the "chop terms into n-grams in the client, and send the term + the n-grams to Solr for indexing", as described here: http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@lucene.apache.org/msg01264.html .

I will then query this index for alternative spelling suggestions just like I'd query any other Solr instance (the idea being I'd search this index in parallel with the search of the index with the actual data I want to find).  I will not, at this time, modify or write any spell checker request handlers that add spelling suggestions to the response.

If anyone has any comments not covered in that thread above, I'm all eyes.

Otis

Re: Spellchecker in Solr

Posted by Michael Imbeault <mi...@sympatico.ca>.
I was at the origin of the thread you mentionned; I still didnt made any
progress toward integrating a spell suggestion function in Solr; but
then again, I'm a java and a lucene novice (though I'm learning fast
thanks to all the help on the mailing list!). By all means, if you think
you can do this, share with the community; to me its the last 'must
have' feature that would make Solr perfect out of the box (its still
awesome without this, mind you!).

I think the option you describe is the easiest / best one to implement.

Michael Imbeault
CHUL Research Center (CHUQ)
2705 boul. Laurier
Ste-Foy, QC, Canada, G1V 4G2
Tel: (418) 654-2705, Fax: (418) 654-2212