Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Jeffrey Rodriguez <je...@hotmail.com> on 2000/06/24 07:37:23 UTC

Xerces 1.1.2 release announcement

Xerces 1.1.2 release is available.

It is downloadable from :

http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-j/

Here are some of the new features in Xerces-J:

-Additional support for W3C XML Schema Language.
-DOS filenames no longer work. See Common Problems section of the FAQ.
For the latter look here:

http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/faq-common.html#faq-5

This release is posted with June 21 date, and here is the release content:

-Added "any" element content support for Schema.
-Fixed adjacent text nodes bug in deferred DOM.
-Fixed namespace URI bug in deferred DOM.
-Fixed null document type node bug.
-Fixed StringReader index out of bounds exception bug.
-Turned on namespace support in all parsers, by default.
-Added feature to allow Schema support to be turned off.
-Fixed SAX2 DeclHandler, LexicalHandler callbacks.
-Fixed DOM  Java serialization bug.
-Fixed datatype enumeration bugs.
-Fixed datatype pattern bugs.
-Fixed datatype min/maxLength bug.
-Modified samples to include additional switches.
-Fixed lexical comparison for string/qname datatypes.
-Added regular expression character class subtraction.
-Fixed regular expression bugs.
-Added URI class.
-Fixed import/include Schema bug.
-Fixed lots of Schema bug.

Big thanks to Paul Eng for his URI class contribution.

Thanks to you all for your contributions, participation and interest in the
Xerces-j project.

                 Jeffrey Rodriguez
                 XML Development
                 IBM Cupertino

ps.
- For those of you using PGP signature (sig files) you can find my key
by searching for jeffreyr@us.ibm.com. Key was created 06/05/2000.
It's key size is 4096/1024.

- If you are building source distribution in Linux ( or other Unix
systems) you may get an exception in the stylebook jar while
building the documentation. This is a know bug and it will be fixed in the
next release 1.1.3. The work around is to re execute make so your build will
finish.

Re: Xerces 1.1.2 bug: elementFormDefault="qualified" not working

Posted by Eric Ye <er...@locus.apache.org>.
You sample schema has a targetNamespace declared, but you didn't delare
another namespace for it, the only namespace binding is from prefix "" to
http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema", which is not where you wanted to put you
stuff. Actually ,  named elements and types were not put in your intended
targetNameSpace.  If you want to use targetNameSpace, you need to delcare
another namespace prefix for it  WHEN you define the SCHEMA, your instance
document looks fine.
_____

Eric Ye * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * ericye@locus.apache.org

Xerces 1.1.2: No Liftoff

Posted by Roger Costello <co...@mitre.org>.
Hi Folks,

The below schema validated just fine using xerces-1_1_1, but produced
tons of errors with xerces-1_1_2.

Hmm, interesting.  I just ran xerces-1_1_2 on an instance document which
conforms to the below schema and it validated just fine.  It appears
that validating the schema against structures.dtd fails, but validating
an instance document against the schema succeeds.

Here is a snippet of the error messages.  The schema follows.  /Roger

http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema grammar not found
[Error] BookCatalogue1.xsd:13:31: The content of element type
"annotation" must match "(appinfo|documentation)*".
[Error] BookCatalogue1.xsd:15:25: The content of element type "sequence"
must match "(annotation?,(element|group|choice|sequence|any)*)"

As you can see below my schema is fine.  The above error messages are
incorrect.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE schema SYSTEM "structures.dtd"[
<!ATTLIST schema xmlns:cat CDATA #FIXED
"http://www.publishing.org/namespaces/BookCatalogue">
]>

targetNamespace="http://www.publishing.org/namespaces/BookCatalogue"
      xmlns:cat="http://www.publishing.org/namespaces/BookCatalogue">
    <element name="BookCatalogue">
        <complexType>
            <sequence>
                <annotation>
                    <documentation>A book catalogue contains zero or
more books</documentation>
                </annotation>
                <element ref="cat:Book" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
            </sequence>
        </complexType>
    </element>
    <element name="Book">
        <complexType>
            <sequence>
                <element ref="cat:Title" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
                <element ref="cat:Author" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
                <element ref="cat:Date" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
                <element ref="cat:ISBN" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
                <element ref="cat:Publisher" minOccurs="1"
maxOccurs="1"/>
            </sequence>
        </complexType>
    </element>

Re: Stylebook docs ?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@mad.scientist.com>.
At 10:51  27/6/00 -0700, you wrote:
>There is no documentation for Stylebook.
>
>Nobody wants to put more work into it, under the assumption that Cocoon 2
(with
>Stylebook-like static generation capability) is just around the corner!
>
>If you have specific questions, I can answer them.

no specific questions - thanks anyway :P

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Stylebook docs ?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Mike Pogue wrote:

> There is no documentation for Stylebook.
>
> Nobody wants to put more work into it, under the assumption that Cocoon 2 (with
> Stylebook-like static generation capability) is just around the corner!

Don't hold your breath for C2 but it's getting there, we are finalizing
the sitemap schema soon and when this is done, writing offline support
(stylebook-like static generation capability) will be a piece of cake.

Note to current Stylebook users: the working paradigm C2 uses is totally
different from Stylebook, but we'll make sure we make the "transition
path" as smooth as possible.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Stylebook docs ?

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
There is no documentation for Stylebook.

Nobody wants to put more work into it, under the assumption that Cocoon 2 (with
Stylebook-like static generation capability) is just around the corner!

If you have specific questions, I can answer them.

Mike

Stylebook docs ?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@mad.scientist.com>.
Hi,