Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/08/01 16:10:28 UTC

Re: svn co with a specific EOL - how?

We don't have this feature.  You could set the svn:eol-style property
to "LF", though that would affect the files for everyone.  Or get a
Unix editor that can handle both ways?  (Some can, such as recent
versions of Emacs.)

-Karl

Posted by br...@xbc.nu.
Karl Fogel wrote:

>"Barry Scott" <ba...@ntlworld.com> writes:
>

>>Using a good editor does not help in the cases I outlined.
>>

>It solves your first case: your Unix editor will load the file from
>the Samba share, transparently DTRT with respect to the line endings,
>and preserve the original eol style when you save.
>

>>Should I raise this as an issue for later attention?
>>

>It would be complex to implement.  I guess I'm -0, but if others need
>this, we could file a Post-1.0 Enhancement issue.
>
>For your second case:
>
> > I can imagine other cases for example a build process that
> > makes a ZIP file of sources on Unix but for the Windows
> > world.
>
>Well, hmmm, a --with-eol argument only for "svn export" would be much
>easier to implement (since no working copy has to remember the
>setting), and would solve that scenario.

I'd narrow this further: call the option --with-native-eol, and make it
affect _only_ the files with svn:eol-style = native. Long option only,
of course.

>Want to file a feature request for that somewhat more limited feature?

+0 for the more limited feature, with the above restrictions.

Re: svn co with a specific EOL - how?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
"Barry Scott" <ba...@ntlworld.com> writes:
> Using a good editor does not help in the cases I outlined.

It solves your first case: your Unix editor will load the file from
the Samba share, transparently DTRT with respect to the line endings,
and preserve the original eol style when you save.

> Should I raise this as an issue for later attention?

It would be complex to implement.  I guess I'm -0, but if others need
this, we could file a Post-1.0 Enhancement issue.

For your second case:

 > I can imagine other cases for example a build process that
 > makes a ZIP file of sources on Unix but for the Windows
 > world.

Well, hmmm, a --with-eol argument only for "svn export" would be much
easier to implement (since no working copy has to remember the
setting), and would solve that scenario.

Want to file a feature request for that somewhat more limited feature?

-K

RE: svn co with a specific EOL - how?

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@ntlworld.com>.