Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by tirupathi reddy <ti...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/20 22:03:52 UTC

How the default ranking works

Hello,

   How the hits are ranked in default case. If I have say some query like this:

title:"measurement procedure" AND id:ep6289*

Say I have some 10 documents matched with that query, how my hits will be displayed. Which record will display first and how it will do the ranking in default case. And also think that I don't have any sort Field.

Please give me some resources where I can read all about Indexing, Ranking of Lucene.

Thanx,
MTREDDY

Tirupati Reddy Manyam
24-06-08,
Sundugaullee-24,
79110 Freiburg
GERMANY.

Phone: 00497618811257
cell : 004917624649007

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How the default ranking works

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Sep 20, 2005, at 4:19 PM, tirupathi reddy wrote:
>   I don't have that book. Is it available in the internet?

You can order it online and have it shipped to you from many online
bookstores - or buy the PDF directly from Manning online.  Links at
the top of this page:

     http://www.lucenebook.com/

Re: How the default ranking works

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
--- tirupathi reddy <ti...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I don't have that book. Is it available in the internet?

Of course, here it is: http://www.manning.com/books/hatcher2 (Add to
Cart link)

Otis

Re: How the default ranking works

Posted by tirupathi reddy <ti...@yahoo.com>.
hello erik,

  I don't have that book. Is it available in the internet?

Thanx,
MTREDDY

Tirupati Reddy Manyam
24-06-08,
Sundugaullee-24,
79110 Freiburg
GERMANY.

Phone: 00497618811257
cell : 004917624649007

---------------------------------
Yahoo! for Good

Re: How the default ranking works

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Sep 20, 2005, at 4:03 PM, tirupathi reddy wrote:
>    How the hits are ranked in default case. If I have say some
> query like this:
>
> title:"measurement procedure" AND id:ep6289*
>
> Say I have some 10 documents matched with that query, how my hits
> will be displayed. Which record will display first and how it will
> do the ranking in default case. And also think that I don't have
> any sort Field.
>
> Please give me some resources where I can read all about Indexing,
> Ranking of Lucene.

To dig through it yourself, check out IndexSearcher.explain().  To
dig deeper, look at the javadocs on Similarity.

There is of course a bit on scoring in "Lucene in Action":

     <http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=scoring>

You have a copy of this book, right?!  :)

Erik