Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carlos Augusto <ca...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/17 00:42:04 UTC

Configuration of Domino JDBC Driver...

Hi everyone:

I´m a newbee with tomcat so please bear with me...

I´m trying to install the JDBC drivers for Domino. My config is as follows:
TOMCAT: Ver 4.0.1 (STAND ALONE)
JDK: VER 1.3.1_01
DOMINO: VER: 5.0.6

I downloaded the driver form the lotus webpage and installed it according to their documentation.

I wrote a JSP test script but a java error occured saying that the java class for the driver could not be found...I checked the CLASSPATH environment variable and is correctly set.

1. What steps must I follow to configure tomcat to use the JDBC Driver correctly.

2. in the script how can I point to a specific .nsf database located in a subdirectory with in the /DATA dir (lotus:jdbc:\ /my_dir/my_db.nsf)?

3.  Do I have to do anything to the domino server to make it work or can tomcat handle the request by its own?

4. Does Domino web server have to be running to use the JDBC to connect to the database?

Thanks a lot for your help, but I feel like an idiot because I´ve been trying to get this thing to work for 6 hours and found no way out.

A step by step procedure would be REALLY appreciated.
==============================
     CARLOS AUGUSTO ABARCA B.

             Ingeniero de Desarrollo
        Seguros Bolivar - TBF Sistemas
             Bogotá D.C., Colombia

         Tel. (571) 3410077  Ext. 8719
==============================

Re: Configuration of Domino JDBC Driver...

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
I'm not familiar with the Domino JDBC driver, but I do know you shouldn't
have to set the classpath in TC 4.0.1.  Things should work fine if the .jar
file for your driver is in one of about three places:

a) CATALINA_BASE$/common/lib for global availability to all of TC and it's
apps
b) CATALINA_BASE$/lib for all apps but not for TC
c) WEB-INF/lib of your application for exclusive use by that one application
only

The classloaders should take care of the rest after TC 4.0.1 is restarted.
This is the method that works for me with MySQL.

As to the rest of your questions:

1) Step by step directions depend on how you're using the database.  Is it
for realm authentication or general use in your app.  For general app use, I
would take a look at the JNDI howto on the jakarta site.  It's very good and
comes complete with example code.  Follow the examples in server.xml for
realm authentication.

2) This is a question better posed to the docs for the Domino server's JDBC
driver.  It changes slightly with the different drivers.  From the snippet of
a URI you gave below, I would venture it to be something like
jdbc:lotus://localhost/my_database?user=user;pass=pass
Again, check the docs, but this would be consistent with a few other drivers.

3) You shouldn't have to to anything with the Domino server except make sure
it's listening on a TCP port since that's how JDBC drivers communicate with
the server.  Obviously firewall and take other security measures to make sure
only authorized access is allowed to the database server.

4) The Domino web server does not have to be running.  Generating and sending
web content are the exclusive responsibility of Tomcat and/or Apache (or
whatever webserver you're running).

Hope this helps some.

--David Smith