Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by magellings <ma...@qg.com> on 2009/09/04 16:14:43 UTC

Re: Getting negative number of pending messages

We too were having problems were number of pending of messages was a negative
number and messages received was greater than number sent.  We determined
there were indeed duplicate messages being sent.

We ended up setting useCache to false on the queue policy entry and the
problem appears to be resolved.

We too were sending a high volume of messages to our queues relatively
quickly.

Re: Getting negative number of pending messages

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
just fyi: the jira is https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2094

--
http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com

Re: Getting negative number of pending messages

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.
Zip file uploaded...

http://www.nabble.com/file/p25458793/ConsoleApplication1.zip
ConsoleApplication1.zip

Re: Getting negative number of pending messages

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.
Hey thanks for your reply-  :-)

Yes I provided a test case a few days ago.  I worked pretty hard getting
this test case for you guys.  I attached all the files to this thread after
Timothy Bish asked for it in this thread.  See a few replies earlier
starting with "I'm attaching a sample app, configurations, and logs in a zip
file..." as it explains the problem.  See the "Zip file uploaded..." reply
by me that contains a working console application using the official NMS
1.1. provider as well as all the code in the VS 2008 solution.  I also
uploaded the sql jdbc and c3po connection pooler jar files in this thread on
a later reply if one wants to use Sql Server to test.

Would think if JDBC Master/Slave in ActiveMQ 5.3 doesn't work with NMS than
that's a big deal for .NET community which is growing larger and larger
every day.  Would think that if JDBC Master/Slave is a general problem with
ActiveMQ 5.3 itself than that is an even bigger problem.  This is why I
asked if anyone had JDBC Master/Slave working with ActiveMQ 5.3.

Either way right now this is a huge priority for us to get a resolution on
as we are running into Async/unmatched acknowledgement errors on the broker
end when testing ActiveMQ 5.2 with a high volume of messages.  We are
looking to try ActiveMQ 5.3 as it looks to have resolved a lot of memory
related issues with prefetch/caching/duplicate messages and such.

So hopefully someone can help us out.  Please let me know if I can help out
more.  This is a main priority for us right now and we are willing to help
out as much as possible.  :-) But can't do much more now until someone
confirms this is or isn't a problem using the console application I provided
to run the test.

-Regards

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
sorry to hear that Mark - do you have a test case ?
On 24 Sep 2009, at 16:08, magellings wrote:

> Hello.  I haven't gotten any feedback on this issue.  To me seems
> rather
> important as JDBC Master/Slave is a common configuration and if it
> doesn't
> work with the NMS provider we at least will be out of luck with
> using 5.3
> when it is released.  This is of course if it is a problem with 5.3.
>
> Could anyone at least reply if they have JDBC Master/Slave working
> with
> version 5.3 of ActiveMQ?

Rob Davies
http://twitter.com/rajdavies

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.

Realized one would need the jar files for jdbc master/slave.  These need to
be placed in lib/optional.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p25515298/optional.zip optional.zip

Also I started a new thread for the "Async error occurred" exceptions as was
able to replicate the problem with the official NMS 1.1 provider and
ActiveMQ 5.2.

http://www.nabble.com/Async-error-occurred--%3E-ActiveMQ-5.2-and-NMS-td25474605.html

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
just as a sanity check - can you try a 5.3 client to connect to the
5.3 broker?

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by magellings <ma...@qg.com>.

Posted by Drizzt321 <dr...@gmail.com>.
I'll have to see if that trick works. We solved it by setting useAsyncSend =
true. We also turned off the persistent data store (kahadb) because somehow
we were getting a few messages caught in there that weren't being delivered.
Maybe using the data store plus useCache=false would work. Its hard for us
to duplicate the issue in testing as it seems we can't quite push enough
data through it.

We probably should upgrade to v5.2, but there doesn't seem to be anything in
the changelog that would indicate anything we need. Our sysadmin is quite
conservative when it comes to certain things. Once v5.3 is released as
stable, I'm going to try my best to get us upgrade to it.

--Aaron

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.