Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leos Urban <Le...@iol.cz> on 2002/08/02 09:53:04 UTC

Standalone Tomcat on port 80 without root privileges

Hello,
How to run tomcat JSPs and servlets on Linux on port 80 without root
privileges?

I want to run Tomcat4 without Apache on my Redhat 7.3 Linux server. Tomcat 4
is installed from rpm and run as tomcat4 user. I changed port setting to
port 80 (http) and 443 (https) in server.xml to listen on "standard" ports.
But tomcat does not start on new ports. I mean that problem is in tomcat4
user. But I don't want change user to root for security reasons. Is here
some way or only one solution is Apache? Does exist some way how to run
tomcat as root and run servlets and JPS as some "nobody" user?

I know that I can run tomcat with security parameter but root is root :-((

Thank you very much,
Leos