Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Aaron Optimizer Digulla <di...@hepe.com> on 2000/11/20 18:47:35 UTC

[BUG] break-before:page

And another one (maybe not a bug but an anoyance):

If I put two flows in one document (for example, to create
a title page), and the first block on the second flow contains
a break-before="page", then I get an empty page.

How do I create a title page ?

Is there a way to say "only break page if blocks have been
placed on the current page" ?

Also, when I have a block with "space-after.optimal" and
a following block "space-before.optimal", then I will get
a space between the two blocks which is the sum of the
two spaces. Unfortunately, this is not what I want
(example: If I have a title which is followed by a list
or a paragraph, I could have different spaces between
the title and the following text which looks ugly).
Is this a bug in FOP or XSL FO ?

Sowatec AG,       CH-8330 Pfäffikon (ZH)
Witzbergstr. 7,   http://www.sowatec.com
Tel: +41-(0)1-952 55 55
Fax: +41-(0)1-952 55 66
Aaron "Optimizer" Digulla, digulla@sowatec.com

Re: [BUG] break-before:page

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 11:19 AM 11/22/00 +0100, Aaron Optimizer Digulla wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 07:18:36PM -0400, Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca wrote:
>
>> Quoting Aaron Optimizer Digulla <di...@hepe.com>:
>>
>> > And another one (maybe not a bug but an anoyance):
>> >
>> > If I put two flows in one document (for example, to create
>> > a title page), and the first block on the second flow contains
>> > a break-before="page", then I get an empty page.
>> >
>> > How do I create a title page ?
>>
>> I would personally not use multiple flows for this situation. Use
>> fo:conditional-page-master-reference, with the
page-position="first|rest" test,
>> in order to designate different page masters for the first (title) page
and all
>> others.
>
>Well, that lets me define margins but how do I put any page but the first ?

Still use, say, a break-after="page" on the last block belonging to the
first (title) page.

Use as many fo:static-contents in your single flow as you need for your
various page masters, and use flow-name on those static-contents to
associate to the regions in the page masters, matching against region-name.

>> > Also, when I have a block with "space-after.optimal" and
>> > a following block "space-before.optimal", then I will get
>> > a space between the two blocks which is the sum of the
>> > two spaces. Unfortunately, this is not what I want
>> > (example: If I have a title which is followed by a list
>> > or a paragraph, I could have different spaces between
>> > the title and the following text which looks ugly).
>> > Is this a bug in FOP or XSL FO ?
>>
>> Both of the space specifiers are conditional (.conditionality=discard),
but
>> this has meaning at the beginning or end of a reference area or line area,
>> neither of which holds here, presumably. By rule 1 in section 4.3.1,
nothing is
>> suppressed. Neither specifier is forcing, so by rule 2, nothing is
suppressed.

>> My reading of rule 3 is that if the precedence of these 2 spaces is the
same,
>> then the resolved optimum value is the greater of the two, or the
_value_ if
>> both optimum values are also the same.
>>
>> So the short answer is that if we are talking about 2 adjacent blocks in
the
>> same reference area, and FOP is not doing the above, then it is a FOP bug.
>
>There should be nothing between these two blocks. I've attached an example
>on how FOP formats this (upper part) and how I would expect it.

OK, I'll take a look at this, and also review my interpretation of
space-specifier/space-specifier-sequence resolution.

Arved

Senior Developer
e-plicity.com (www.e-plicity.com)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
"B2B Wireless in Canada's Ocean Playground"

Re: [BUG] break-before:page

Posted by Aaron Optimizer Digulla <di...@hepe.com>.
On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 07:18:36PM -0400, Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca wrote:

> Quoting Aaron Optimizer Digulla <di...@hepe.com>:
>
> > And another one (maybe not a bug but an anoyance):
> >
> > If I put two flows in one document (for example, to create
> > a title page), and the first block on the second flow contains
> > a break-before="page", then I get an empty page.
> >
> > How do I create a title page ?
>
> I would personally not use multiple flows for this situation. Use
> fo:conditional-page-master-reference, with the page-position="first|rest" test,
> in order to designate different page masters for the first (title) page and all
> others.

Well, that lets me define margins but how do I put any page but the first ?

> > Also, when I have a block with "space-after.optimal" and
> > a following block "space-before.optimal", then I will get
> > a space between the two blocks which is the sum of the
> > two spaces. Unfortunately, this is not what I want
> > (example: If I have a title which is followed by a list
> > or a paragraph, I could have different spaces between
> > the title and the following text which looks ugly).
> > Is this a bug in FOP or XSL FO ?
>
> Both of the space specifiers are conditional (.conditionality=discard), but
> this has meaning at the beginning or end of a reference area or line area,
> neither of which holds here, presumably. By rule 1 in section 4.3.1, nothing is
> suppressed. Neither specifier is forcing, so by rule 2, nothing is suppressed.
>
> My reading of rule 3 is that if the precedence of these 2 spaces is the same,
> then the resolved optimum value is the greater of the two, or the _value_ if
> both optimum values are also the same.
>
> So the short answer is that if we are talking about 2 adjacent blocks in the
> same reference area, and FOP is not doing the above, then it is a FOP bug.

There should be nothing between these two blocks. I've attached an example
on how FOP formats this (upper part) and how I would expect it.

Sowatec AG,       CH-8330 Pf�ffikon (ZH)

Posted by Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca.
Quoting Aaron Optimizer Digulla <di...@hepe.com>:

> And another one (maybe not a bug but an anoyance):
>
> If I put two flows in one document (for example, to create
> a title page), and the first block on the second flow contains
> a break-before="page", then I get an empty page.
>
> How do I create a title page ?

I would personally not use multiple flows for this situation. Use
fo:conditional-page-master-reference, with the page-position="first|rest" test,
in order to designate different page masters for the first (title) page and all
others.

> Also, when I have a block with "space-after.optimal" and
> a following block "space-before.optimal", then I will get
> a space between the two blocks which is the sum of the
> two spaces. Unfortunately, this is not what I want
> (example: If I have a title which is followed by a list
> or a paragraph, I could have different spaces between
> the title and the following text which looks ugly).
> Is this a bug in FOP or XSL FO ?

Both of the space specifiers are conditional (.conditionality=discard), but
this has meaning at the beginning or end of a reference area or line area,
neither of which holds here, presumably. By rule 1 in section 4.3.1, nothing is
suppressed. Neither specifier is forcing, so by rule 2, nothing is suppressed.

My reading of rule 3 is that if the precedence of these 2 spaces is the same,
then the resolved optimum value is the greater of the two, or the _value_ if
both optimum values are also the same.

So the short answer is that if we are talking about 2 adjacent blocks in the
same reference area, and FOP is not doing the above, then it is a FOP bug.

Arved Sandstrom

 This mail was sent through the Nova Scotia Provincial Server,
 with technical resources provided by Chebucto Community Net.
 http://nsaccess.ns.ca/mail/         http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/