Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by "Koper, Dies" <di...@fast.au.fujitsu.com> on 2013/05/24 01:42:07 UTC

are JIRAs mandatory for every change?

Abayer, gaul, nacx and I had a brief discussion about whether we
required a JIRA before merging my PR[1].
This particular PR is for a patch that fixes issues found while running
the live tests for provider fgcp, which is in labs, but the purpose of
this e-mail is to start a discussion about whether we need a general
policy and what it should be.

For your reference, in Deltacloud we sometimes open JIRAs for patches
and sometimes we do not. So I suppose there is no ASF requirement.

It generally depends on the case: a JIRA may help to discuss and track a
new feature requirement or investigate a bug, i.e. when you are
collaboration on the problem that needs to be addressed, and the
collaboration may take days to weeks to months. Or track tasks.
In other cases, there is no collaboration required because the cause is
obvious and quick to fix, and/or because there is only one committer
looking into it deeply anyway (because others don't have the environment
to reproduce it or don't have the knowledge/background). In this case I
suppose we believe the JIRA only adds overhead as PR notifications are
sent to the mailing list anyway.

So in Deltacloud we haven't had a need to make JIRAs mandatory.

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/pull/5

Regards,
Dies Koper

Re: are JIRAs mandatory for every change?

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.
Currently there are only two ways for non-commiters to request/submit
a feature/bugfix: opening a JIRA or opening a pull request, so we can
expect most contributions will have the corresponding JIRA (and if
there is only a pull request we can ask to open a JIRA).

So I think this applies mostly for commiters. IMO JIRAs are good. They
will help us keep track of which changes are in each version, generate
the release notes, and so on, so I'd say, if in doubt, open a JIRA.
Commiters also do a lot of cleanup and maintenance work, and often
opening JIRAs for all that stuff seems not practical. (Take as an
example the changes needed to address the small bits to properly
rlease 1.6.1-incubating).

I'm aligned with Andrew B. I'd not say JIRAs are mandatory, but we
should open JIRAs by default.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@maginatics.com>.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://maginatics.com/

Re: are JIRAs mandatory for every change?

Posted by Matt Stephenson <ma...@mattstep.net>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.