Posted to user@aurora.apache.org by Renan DelValle <re...@apache.org> on 2018/08/01 00:04:53 UTC

Regarding our recent move to gitbox

All,

I wanted to take a few minutes to explain what our recent change to gitbox
means in practice.

For our users:
* The change is (hopefully) not very impactful. The only thing that changes
is the location of the aurora and aurora-packing repositories. Update those
as needed by your usage.
* You may now depend on the github repository as the main source of aurora
code.

For our developers (and, more importantly, future developers):
* You can now make contributions by making Pull Requests through the
github.com UI!
* Contributors may still submit contributions through the Review Board
workflow.

For our committers:
* You can now commit Pull Requests directly through the github UI.
* You may also continue to commit contributions through the Review Board
workflow.
* Origin is now git@github.com:apache/aurora.git All pushes committing new
code from contributions should be made there.
* aurora-packaging has a protected master branch. This means commits cannot
be directly pushed to master -- only through pull requests. This is to
avoid accidental pushes to the master. Review Board flow is still possible
here but an extra step is required.

Finally a few points of discussion:

* Should we enable issues on github for both aurora and aurora-packaging?
If yes, should this replace JIRA for aurora and aurora-packaging? (A vote
is probably in order for this if the overall sentiment is positive)

* Should we eventually make the master branch on aurora be protected? If
yes, when should the cutover be?

* Should we favor PRs as the main way of making contributions? When (if at
all) should Review Board be favored over PRs?

* For pull requests, what should our PR merge model be?
The choices are:
 - Merge commit
 - Squash and merge
 - Rebase and merge

Note: Squash and merge is the closest to our current Review Board workflow.

* We need a CI for contributions made through github. Suggestions,
recommendations, as well as help setting them up are very much welcome.

-Renan

Re: Regarding our recent move to gitbox

Posted by Jing Chen <mi...@gmail.com>.
I'm +1 for enabling github issues on aurora-packaging

I am cool with enabling github issues on aurora, however, it is not easy to
maintain if too many issues are created.
It might be a good option for our current level of activity though.

Posted by Renan DelValle <re...@apache.org>.