Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Robert Leland <Ro...@free2create.org> on 2001/02/26 04:28:27 UTC

Why is source code in the struts binary

Hi,

I have always wondered why struts source code is in
the binary release ? Is this used as documentation ?

-Rob

Re: Why is source code in the struts binary

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Robert Leland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have always wondered why struts source code is in
> the binary release ? Is this used as documentation ?
>
> -Rob

Three primary reasons:

* As a reminder that this is open source -- you don't have to
  rely on just the JAR files and documentation.

* In case you have a question about how a particular tag
  or other function is implemented, you can look and see
  without having to download the source distribution.

* In many cases, classes in struts.jar are designed to be
  subclassed so you can customize their behavior.  This is
  much easier if you can see the actual source, not just the
  Javadocs.

Craig