Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2002/11/01 01:10:40 UTC

Re: file-path-to-uri algorithm in JAXP code

Hi Sandy,

FWIW, (1) your fix handles non-ASCII characters, the importance of which
seems to grow by the day; (2) the XMLEntityManager code upon which it was
based is elderly, well-tested code; (3) this is a one-time-per-parse
operation, so performance isn't much of a factor either way.  So I'd like
to see us go with your code for now; if we decide for whatever reason to go
with the code Neeraj contributed, we can always get it out of CVS later
(it's part of a tagged release, so even if we delete it it won't go away
completely).

What do others think?

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           Sandy            |
|         |           Gao/Toronto/IBM@I|
|         |           BMCA             |
|         |           10/30/2002 04:58 |
|         |           xerces-j-dev     |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org                                                                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  file-path-to-uri algorithm in JAXP code                                                                                     |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

Hi all,

Before Xerces 2.2.0 was released, we tried to fix a bug in the JAXP code,
so that file paths (got from File objects) can be correctly converted to
URI's. Thanks to Neeraj, who committed the fix that solved a big part of
the problem.

One thing was missing from Neeraj's fix: it doesn't support non-ASCII
characters. This is why I committed another fix for the same problem, using
a different approach (borrowed from other parts of Xerces), with the
support of non-ASCII characters.

As we all know, JAXP is not our (Xerces') code, so it's better if it lives
in a common place (xml-commons would be a good candidate) so that other
projects can have access to this fix. Before moving on, we'll need to pick
one of the two solutions.

I don't know which one is more appropriate, so I would like to ask for your
opinions (especially Neeraj's) on:
1. How long and how much effort does it take to update Neeraj's approach to
support non-ASCII characters?
2. In terms of correctness and completeness, in which approach do people
feel more confident?
3. Which one performs better?

Thanks,
Sandy Gao