Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Bond <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2003/06/02 20:51:23 UTC

[users@httpd] authentication and user tracking

Hi,
I am looking for apache 2 module which can provide the following
functionalities:

1: Authenticate the user
2: Log the time of log in
3: Log the time of log out
4: log the ip address

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks
jerry

Re: [users@httpd] authentication and user tracking

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, James Bond wrote:

> Hi,
> I am looking for apache 2 module which can provide the following
> functionalities:
>
> 1: Authenticate the user
> 2: Log the time of log in
> 3: Log the time of log out
> 4: log the ip address
>
> Any advise will be appreciated.

Assuming you're talking about HTTP authentication, and not something
else, there really is not a concept of logging in and logging out. HTTP
is stateless, meaning that each request is a world unto itself.
Furthermore, a user can quite happily authenticate, and then never load
another page from your server, meaning that they never "log out".

Having said that, I think it would likely be a simple matter to go
through the log files and pull out those lines where the USERNAME field
is not blank, and get some kind of picture from those. That could be
done from your standard log files.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org