Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Martin v. Löwis" <ma...@v.loewis.de> on 2003/06/21 20:48:24 UTC

Trying to use an unsupported feature

I have a sandbox which is just the trunk, which I try to tag. How can
I do that? I try

svn copy . <repo-url>/tags/<tagname>

This gives

svn: Trying to use an unsupported feature
svn: cannot copy path '' into its own child 'https://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/playground/tags/another'

I don't think I'm trying to copy a path into its own child here.

But if I do, how can I specify this copy operation?

Regards,
Martin

Re: Trying to use an unsupported feature

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
martin@v.loewis.de (Martin v. Löwis) writes:

>>   svn copy <repo-url>/trunk <repo-url>/tags/<tagname>
>
> But wouldn't this tag the HEAD revision of trunk?

Yes.

> I want to tag what is in my sandbox, i.e. the BASE revision.

If your working copy is a single revison you could use

  svn copy -rN <repo-url>/trunk <repo-url>/tags/<tagname>

If that is not the case you will need to fix issue 1357 :)

--
Philip Martin

Re: Trying to use an unsupported feature

Posted by "Martin v. Löwis" <ma...@v.loewis.de>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> That looks like a bug in the copy logic.

Ok, it is now issue 1367.

> Use URLs
>
>   svn copy <repo-url>/trunk <repo-url>/tags/<tagname>

But wouldn't this tag the HEAD revision of trunk? I want to tag what is

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"Martin v. Löwis" <ma...@v.loewis.de> writes:

> svn copy . <repo-url>/tags/<tagname>
>
> This gives
>
> svn: Trying to use an unsupported feature
> svn: cannot copy path '' into its own child 'https://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/playground/tags/another'

That looks like a bug in the copy logic.

> I don't think I'm trying to copy a path into its own child here.
>
> But if I do, how can I specify this copy operation?

Use URLs

  svn copy <repo-url>/trunk <repo-url>/tags/<tagname>

I suspect most tags are made this way.

--
Philip Martin