Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sandor Spruit <sa...@cs.uu.nl> on 2000/11/14 10:33:28 UTC

Re[2]: Is 3.1 a production ready release?

Simon

On Tuesday, November 14, 2000, 10:18:50 AM, you wrote:

Kitching> Hi,

Kitching> No, 3.1 is not production quality - I know, I tried :-(

Kitching> However, 3.2 is due out in a matter of a week or two.
Kitching> I am using 3.2beta6 for a small-medium volume
Kitching> business-to-business web site, and it is ok. Not
Kitching> the fastest webserver in the world, but adequate,
Kitching> open-source, free, standards-compliant, and
Kitching> improving at a great rate.

Isn't Tomcat supposed to be used in conjunction with a good
webserver like Apache ?

Sandor

--
ir A.G.L. Spruit, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
Institute of information and computing sciences

Re: Is 3.1 a production ready release?

Posted by Vinny <vi...@xaymaca.com>.
I find tomcat to be an elegant solution as a standalone web server but
I would probably hitch it to apache if i needed an advanced feature
like mod_rewrite and such.

Posted by Dave Harms <jd...@clarionmag.com>.
Sandor,

> Isn't Tomcat supposed to be used in conjunction with a good
> webserver like Apache ?

Supposedly. But I think what's happening is a lot of people are finding
out that Tomcat is good enough that you don't really need Apache,
although you might still want it at least for load balancing and a few
other things.

Dave

Dave Harms
jdev@clarionmag.com