Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Anna Povzner <an...@confluent.io> on 2020/08/11 02:27:49 UTC

Re: [VOTE] KIP-612: Ability to Limit Connection Creation Rate on Brokers

Hi All,

I wanted to let everyone know that we would like to make the following
changes to the KIP:

   1.

   Expose connection acceptance rate metrics (broker-wide and per-listener)
   and per-listener average throttle time metrics for better observability and
   debugging.
   2.

   KIP-599 introduced a new implementation of MeasurableStat that
   implements a token bucket, which improves rate throttling for bursty
   workloads (KAFKA-10162). We would like to use this same mechanism for
   connection accept rate throttling.

I updated the KIP to reflect these changes.

Let me know if you have any concerns.

Thanks,

Anna

Posted by Anna Povzner <an...@confluent.io>.
Hi David,

You are right, using a token bucket exposes the metric for the number of
remaining tokens in the bucket. Since we also want to evaluate using a
token bucket for bandwidth & request throttling, it would be better to have
this discussion separately in a separate KIP. This KIP does not implement
token bucket throttling, and I made sure that KIP wiki does not mention it
as well. Hopefully, I haven't added any confusion.

As David Mao is implementing per-IP part of this KIP, he will update the
KIP wiki and notify this thread with a couple of more details that were not
mentioned in the KIP wiki (e.g., per-IP rate metrics exposed when
throttling).

Thanks,
Anna

Posted by David Jacot <dj...@confluent.io>.