Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2019/11/26 13:55:25 UTC

5.0 GA / release planning

Folks

How do feel about releasing HttpCore 5.0 GA next week and HttpClient
5.0 shortly after?

In the next development phase I imagine we could backport some of the
5.0 code to 4.x. HttpCore 4.x and HttpClient 4.x could benefit from
better connection pool implementations from 5.0.

Oleg

Re: 5.0 GA / release planning

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2019-11-26 um 20:09 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Tue, 2019-11-26 at 19:06 +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Am 2019-11-26 um 14:55 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> How do feel about releasing HttpCore 5.0 GA next week and
>>> HttpClient
>>> 5.0 shortly after?
>>
>> Can you hold off for one more week? I'd like to go through all
>> HttpCore
>> topics we have discussed in the last couple of weeks and report
>> those
>> which break the API or need fixing before GA, e.g., combined
>> redirect
>> strategy.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Hi Michael
>
> I can hold off for a week but not indefinitely. I _really_ would like
> to see 5.0 GA go out this year.

This year is absolutely feasible and I share this opinion.

Michael

Re: 5.0 GA / release planning

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: 5.0 GA / release planning

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: 5.0 GA / release planning

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2019-11-26 um 22:10 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> One item that remains for me is to fix the consistency in naming of types.
> This is new code that will live for loooong time, so let's make it the best
> we can please. For example, we mix call CAPS and CamelCase for acronyms:
>
> For example, these two sit right next to each other in the same package:
>
> org.apache.hc.core5.reactor.ssl.SSLSessionVerifier
> org.apache.hc.core5.reactor.ssl.TlsDetails
>
> Can we pick ONE convention please, either:
>
> org.apache.hc.core5.reactor.ssl.SSLSessionVerifier
> org.apache.hc.core5.reactor.ssl.TLSDetails
>
> or
>
> org.apache.hc.core5.reactor.ssl.SslSessionVerifier
> org.apache.hc.core5.reactor.ssl.TlsDetails
>
> I don't care which one at this point. We do Use "*Http*" a lot so that
> might be a hint to pick that style. I'm happy to provide a PR once we agree

I think there is a rule of thumb in Java: if the abbreviation is at most
3 chars, you can keep it uppercase, otherwhise make it PascalCase, not
camelCase for class names. But anyway, make it consistent.

As a side note, why keep SSL in the name at all, we only use TLS these
days...?

> --
>
> We also have a mix of "Http", "Http1", H2" which I find confusing. In the
> httpcore5-h2 module we have:
>
> org.apache.hc.core5.http2.impl.nio.ServerH2StreamMultiplexerFactory
> org.apache.hc.core5.http2.impl.nio.ServerHttpProtocolNegotiator
> org.apache.hc.core5.http2.impl.nio.ServerHttpProtocolNegotiatorFactory
>
> Why is it not:
>
> org.apache.hc.core5.http2.impl.nio.ServerH2ProtocolNegotiator
> org.apache.hc.core5.http2.impl.nio.ServerH2ProtocolNegotiatorFactory

I agree here. The package name could have been h2 also.

> I find it weird to have "Http1" vs. "H2", it feels like another
> inconsistency.

I would avoid using terms like HTTP1 or Http1 because they have never
been used throughout the net. Either Http10, Http11 or just Http. H2 is
HTTP/2. Period.

Michael

Re: 5.0 GA / release planning

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

?

I find it weird to have "Http1" vs. "H2", it feels like another
inconsistency.

Gary

Re: 5.0 GA / release planning

Posted by Ryan Schmitt <rs...@apache.org>.
I fully agree with your sense of urgency around getting the GA out. In
every project there comes a time to shoot the engineers and start
production.

Re: 5.0 GA / release planning

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: 5.0 GA / release planning

Posted by Ryan Schmitt <rs...@apache.org>.
There is one thing I was hoping to do before the GA release, which is to