Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by John Vines <vi...@apache.org> on 2014/04/04 19:54:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove hadoop1 support

This is something that crossed my mind recently. Hadoop 2 is solidly moving
forward and, as someone who does not actively follow the hadoop community,
hadoop 1 is slowing down. Adoption for hadoop2 is on the rise and with that
I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth the code complexity to support
both versions, particularly attempting to harness new features.

What is the communities thought on this, maybe for 1.7 or maybe for future
releases?

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove hadoop1 support

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.
Yes, I had assumed that all versions that support hadoop1 will continue.
Only for major releases (1.x, or x if we pick up semantic versioning or
something else)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
I would be comfortable calling Hadoop 1 support in 1.6.0 deprecated.

-Sean

--
Sean

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove hadoop1 support

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
Yes. It would mean updating our README and adding something to the Release
Notes.

In addition to the "we don't recommend it" text, a warning that we plan to
remove it in the next version would also be good.

-Sean

--
Sean

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove hadoop1 support

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@clouderagovt.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 ditto on what's been said

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Ravi Mutyala <ra...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> +1 for dropping support for hadoop1 in future versions. +1 to call it
> deprecated for Hadoop 1. It might be to good option to get info from user
> list if anyone is going to use 1.6 on Hadoop1.

Lordy I hope no one is. Really, once the WALs moved into HDFS people
shouldn't have used Accumulo on an HDFS without a good HA story. By and
large, that means Hadoop 2.

--
Sean

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove hadoop1 support