Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by vi...@yahoo.co.in on 2013/12/26 20:15:00 UTC

Ping_mode

Hi guys,

Can you plz help me in understand that under what circumstances i should use ping_mode attribute in worker.properties.

Actually i dont understand that how it will make the applications more reliable because as per my understanding if apache-tomcat connection results in failure then mod_jk will fallback & try connecting with another tomcat jvm. when this is happening automatically then what is the point of configuring ping_mode ????

Please enlighten me

Thanks,
Vicky

Re: Ping_mode

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 26.12.2013 20:15, vicky007aggarwal@yahoo.co.in wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Can you plz help me in understand that under what circumstances i should use ping_mode attribute in worker.properties.
>
> Actually i dont understand that how it will make the applications more reliable because as per my understanding if apache-tomcat connection results in failure then mod_jk will fallback & try connecting with another tomcat jvm. when this is happening automatically then what is the point of configuring ping_mode ????
>
> Please enlighten me

AJP ping/pong is a fast way of detecting low level connection problems
and also some higher level problems. Reliable detection of problems must
come before any retry or failover decision mod_jk can do.

AJP ping/pong is especially interesting when a firewall sits between the
web server and Tomcat. Depending on your connection_pool_timeout and
firewall configuration, TCP idle connection drop could happen there
which often results in problems if there is no good connection checking
enabled - like AJP ping/pong. There are other - more rare cases - where
AJP ping/pong is of help. I generally use it as a basic mechanism to
make the web server to Tomcat integration more robust.

For more details see

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/timeouts.html

Regards,

Rainer