Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Jason Keltz <ja...@eecs.yorku.ca> on 2020/04/15 14:51:12 UTC

cut in gnome closes session

Hi.

I have an odd situation occurring.  I'm connected (through Guac) to a
CentOS 7 machine via RDP.  The desktop environment is the standard
GNOME.  I have only a terminal window open.  When I select text in the
terminal window, then right-click and select "Copy", the RDP session
disconnects and Guacamole reports "The remote desktop server is current
unavailable. If the problem persists, please notify your system
administrator, or check ...". It then reconnects, but if I choose
"paste", the text I cut is not in the buffer.  Any ideas on how to solve?

Jason.

Re: cut in gnome closes session

Posted by "Stefan M. Radman" <sm...@kmi.com.INVALID>.
Nick

I rebuilt the rpm from staging/1.2.0 and repeated the exercise.

This time I loaded the debug symbols. See the guacd stack backtrace below.

When using xrdp with the Xorg backend from xorgxrdp-0.2.13-1 instead of Xvnc, all this is gone and the clipboard works as expected.
The guacd warning "Received clipboard data cannot be sent to the RDP server ..." appears with Xorg and guacd 1.2.0 as well but does not seem to affect clipboard functionality (at least for text).

Stefan

[root@guacamole ~]# /usr/sbin/guacd -v
Guacamole proxy daemon (guacd) version 1.2.0
[root@antelope ~]# gdb -batch -ex bt -ex quit /usr/sbin/guacd /var/spool/abrt/ccpp-2020-04-29-10\:26\:50-3045/coredump
[New LWP 3050]
[New LWP 3048]
[New LWP 3045]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `guacd -f'.
#0  guac_rdp_keyboard_update_keysym (keyboard=0x7f8fcd5a2010, keysym=67, pressed=0) at keyboard.c:444
444     if (!keyboard->synchronized) {
#0  guac_rdp_keyboard_update_keysym (keyboard=0x7f8fcd5a2010, keysym=67, pressed=0) at keyboard.c:444
#1  0x00007f8fdd3770f0 in guac_user_input_thread (data=<optimized out>) at user-handshake.c:165
#2  0x00007f8fdc77eea5 in start_thread () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
#3  0x00007f8fdb0738dd in clone () from /lib64/libc.so.6

On Apr 29, 2020, at 09:50, Stefan M. Radman <sm...@kmi.com>> wrote:

Hi Nick

I just experienced the issue myself on CentOS-7 (2003) with the guacd-1.1.0-1 RPM from EPEL7.
The RDP server is xrdp-0.9.13-1 with its default Xvnc backend from tigervnc-server-minimal-1.8.0-19.

When copying any text in GNOME to the clipboard, the guacamole session closes with a connection error.
Upon reconnect the GNOME desktop is still there and unchanged but I receive an email from abrt that guacd has crashed.

The stack backtrace can be found below.
guacd crashes in guac_rdp_keyboard_update_keysym().

One of the last messages of guacd before the crash is the one received by Jason:
"Received clipboard data cannot be sent to the RDP server because the RDP server has requested a clipboard format which was not declared as available. This violates the specification for the CLIPRDR channel."

Dr. Google found the message in an xrdp thread.
https://github.com/neutrinolabs/xrdp/issues/755<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fneutrinolabs%2Fxrdp%2Fissues%2F755&data=02%7C01%7Csmr%40kmi.com%7C0552edc2b1014f67576608d7ec120e7a%7Cc2283768b8d34e008f3d85b1b4f03b33%7C0%7C0%7C637237434608630622&sdata=k9COi1Jk%2BmWMY4FXxZ%2FuFaeWr9m4%2BcKElVy48FuD8v4%3D&reserved=0>
Not sure if that's related but it wouldn't be the first Xvnc issue guacamole is suffering from.
Note: In this case it is not xrdp or Xvnc crashing but guacd.

Stefan

[root@guacamole ~]# gdb -batch -ex bt -ex quit /usr/sbin/guacd /var/spool/abrt/ccpp-2020-04-29-04\:46\:42-13550/coredump
[New LWP 13561]
[New LWP 13550]
[New LWP 13555]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `/usr/sbin/guacd -f'.
#0  0x00007f3f25dd9ddb in guac_rdp_keyboard_update_keysym () from /lib64/libguac-client-rdp.so
#0  0x00007f3f25dd9ddb in guac_rdp_keyboard_update_keysym () from /lib64/libguac-client-rdp.so
#1  0x00007f3f2de540f0 in guac_user_input_thread () from /lib64/libguac.so.17
#2  0x00007f3f2d25bea5 in start_thread () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
#3  0x00007f3f2bb508dd in clone () from /lib64/libc.so.6

On Apr 16, 2020, at 04:06, Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>> wrote:

Jason,
A couple of things for you to try:
1) If possible, compile the staging/1.2.0 guacd code and see if it is fixed in that version.  It's possible this is already addressed by some fixes that have already been committed.
2) Run gdb with guacd and get a stack trace of the segfault that's happening here so that we can track down where it's occurring.  This would be something like:

gdb /path/to/guacd -f
gdb> set follow-fork-mode child
gdb> go

Then run the RDP connection and reproduce the disconnect and post the stack trace back here.

-Nick

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 8:55 PM Jason Keltz <ja...@eecs.yorku.ca>> wrote:

Nick,

Any additional feedback on how to resolve this issue?

I'm sure there are many people running Guacamole under CentOS 7 with EPEL xrdp.  I just don't understand what is causing guacd to report the error below, and how to fix it.  Even Dr. Google doesn't help.

Jason.

On 4/15/2020 1:01 PM, Jason Keltz wrote:

Hi Nick,

Everything is running from guac 1.1.0.

There's no messages from dmesg on the RDP host.

guacd reports on the server:

Apr 15 12:54:41 remotelab guacd[17580]: guacd[22724]: WARNING:        Received clipboard data cannot be sent to the RDP server because the RDP server has requested a clipboard format which was not declared as available. This violates the specification for the CLIPRDR channel.

This looks to be when I do a cut operation.  Any thoughts on what this would be?  I'm running the epel package of xrdp.

I see a few core dumps from guacd on the server as well, but not at the times when I'm doing this... likely some other issue:

[328607.147080] guacd[822]: segfault at 7f0e0aba401c ip 00007f0e1252389b sp 00007f0e08ff8c00 error 4 in libguac-client-rdp.so.0.0.0[7f0e124fe000+3b000]
[330573.985939] guacd[1018]: segfault at 7f0e0a50701c ip 00007f0e1252389b sp 00007f0e08ff8c00 error 4 in libguac-client-rdp.so.0.0.0[7f0e124fe000+3b000]

I did restart guacd and it didn't help.

Jason.

On 4/15/2020 11:11 AM, Nick Couchman wrote:
On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:51 AM Jason Keltz <ja...@eecs.yorku.ca>> wrote:
Hi.

I have an odd situation occurring.  I'm connected (through Guac) to a
CentOS 7 machine via RDP.  The desktop environment is the standard
GNOME.  I have only a terminal window open.  When I select text in the
terminal window, then right-click and select "Copy", the RDP session
disconnects and Guacamole reports "The remote desktop server is current
unavailable. If the problem persists, please notify your system
administrator, or check ...". It then reconnects, but if I choose
"paste", the text I cut is not in the buffer.  Any ideas on how to solve?

Sounds like something is crashing - you'll need to narrow down if it is xRDP or guacd that is exiting abnormally.  I'd start with the following:
- Take a look at "dmesg" output on the systems running both xRDP and guacd and see if you see any "segfault" messages.
- Look at syslog on both systems and see if you can see any reason given for either xRDP or guacd crashing.
- Look at the system running guacd and see if the log messages in syslog (journalctl, /var/log/messages, etc.) and see what guacd is saying is the reason for the connection closure.

Also, what version of guacd are you running?

-Nick

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged and confidential information, or may otherwise be protected from disclosure, and is intended solely for use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please notify the sender that you have received this communication in error and delete and destroy all copies in your possession.

Re: cut in gnome closes session

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
Jason,

Posted by Jason Keltz <ja...@eecs.yorku.ca>.