Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Kevin <ke...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/09 22:19:33 UTC

Hadoop 2.2.0 YARN isolation and Windows

Hi,

Three questions about the new Hadoop release regarding YARN:

1. Does YARN need to run on the same machines that are hosting the HDFS
services or can HDFS be remote of a YARN cluster? If this done by placing
the remote HDFS cluster's configuration files (core-site.xml and
hdfs-site.xml) on the YARN cluster's machines?

2. According to
http://www.i-programmer.info/news/197-data-mining/6518-hadoop-2-introduces-yarn.html,
Hadoop 2.2.0 supports Microsoft Windows. How do/Can you configure YARN for
secure container isolation in Windows? It seems that the ContainerExecutor
and DefaultContainerExecutor can detect and run on Windows, but the secure
LinuxContainerExecutor are for *nix systems, so is there anything in place
for maximum security like LCE is?

3. If 1 is yes, then is it possible to have a cluster mixed with both Linux
and Windows machines running YARN and working together?

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Hadoop 2.2.0 YARN isolation and Windows

Posted by Hadoop Dev <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Though I am not an expert in Hadoop, I think Hadoop's one of the main
motives is to have data locality (i.e business logic(job) should run
locally with the data.. which is further helped by having data replicas on
various data nodes so that the task which is loaded locally to the data
block would read it) This saves network bandwidth. So May be you can have
HDFS and YARN service running on different cluster but I think that's not
what Hadoop aims for.. This is just my point of view..

Posted by Hadoop Dev <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Hadoop Dev <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Hadoop Dev <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Kevin,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop 2.2.0 YARN isolation and Windows

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Kevin,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop 2.2.0 YARN isolation and Windows

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Kevin,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop 2.2.0 YARN isolation and Windows

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Kevin,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE