Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ned Regina <nr...@ergito.com> on 2003/10/09 21:37:02 UTC

Tomcat 4 + Apache 1.3 + mod_jk lb session loss

I'm trying to load balance multiple Tomcat 4.1.27 servers behind Apache
1.3.28 using jk(1) on RedHat 9.  It appears that the sessions are not being
maintained when more than one Tomcat server is running.  A quick test page
which prints application, session, request, and cookie information shows a
new JSESSIONID cookie every time the page loads as well as alternating
"Real Path" values (for each Tomcat server instance).  I've had the same
configuration working perfectly for nearly a year using Tomcat 4.0.X,
Apache 1.3.x, and RedHat 7.2 running on three separate servers (one
apache+mod_jk+tomcat, the others just tomcat).  Initially, I had set up a
multiple server system with the new software when I noticed this
problem.  To simplify, I've set up a test environment on one server with
tomcat instance 1 running on ports 8005,8009,8443,and 8080 and tomcat
instance 2 running on ports 9005,9009,9443, and 9080.  I'm using the
default server.xml for each with the ROOT context statement un-commented
and the ports changed as above.  This is what my workers.properties looks
like (although it's gone through a great many permutations in the debug
process).

#
# workers.properties
#

# In Unix, we use forward slashes:
ps=/

# list the workers by name

worker.list=router

# --------------------------------------
# Load Balance remote tomcat server test
# --------------------------------------
worker.router.type=lb
worker.router.balanced_workers=live2,live3
worker.router.sticky_session=1

worker.live2.port=8009
worker.live2.host=192.168.254.102
worker.live2.type=ajp13
worker.live2.lbfactor=100

worker.live3.port=9009
worker.live3.host=192.168.254.102
worker.live3.type=ajp13
worker.live3.lbfactor=100

This has been a very frustrating problem since it was something that worked
quite well until now.  I'm going to keep removing layers (going back to
RH7.x, then TC4.0X, etc.), but if anybody has any information about this,
it would be a great help.  Thanks.

-Ned Regina

Re: Tomcat 4 + Apache 1.3 + mod_jk lb session loss

Posted by Ned Regina <nr...@ergito.com>.
Bingo!  Thanks a million.  It's been so long since I set up the old system
that I must have forgotten that *minor* detail.  It sure would be nice if
the term "jvmRoute" appeared somewhere in the JK docs.

Posted by "wade.johnson@abbnm.com" <wa...@abbnm.com>.

Posted by Ned Regina <nr...@ergito.com>.

Posted by "wade.johnson@abbnm.com" <wa...@abbnm.com>.