Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tobias Herp <to...@gmx.de> on 2007/02/25 22:44:30 UTC

svn 1.4.3 and apache 2.2.4: ./configure problem (apxs)

Hi,

I just installed apache 2.2.4 from the sources on my virtual SuSE 9.0
server (I know it's old, but it took the new apache without
difficulties). I was able to install Subversion 1.4.3, too; but I can't
work out how to build the mod_dav_svn module, too. This is the tail of
my ./configure call:

checking for static Apache module support... no
checking for Apache module support via DSO through APXS... Use of
uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/sbin/apxs
line 238.
/usr/sbin/apxs line 238.
/usr/sbin/apxs line 238.
configure: error: no - APXS refers to an old version of Apache
                     Unable to locate /mod_dav.h

Well, the current version of Apache doesn't look very old to me; is it
too new (2.2 rather than 2.0)?

config.nice looks like this:
'./configure' '--with-apxs' "$@"
or
'./configure' '--with-apxs' '--enable-dso' "$@"

/usr/sbin/apxs is the one which was built during the apache 2.2.4
installation; line 238 looks like this:
            $result .= eval "qq($val)" if defined $val;

Any ideas, anyone? Could it help to supply an additional switch? Or do I
need to revert to Apache 2.0?

Thanks a lot in advance!
--
Tobias

Re: svn 1.4.3 and apache 2.2.4: ./configure problem (apxs)

Posted by Tobias Herp <to...@gmx.de>.
> /usr/sbin/apxs is the one which was built during the apache 2.2.4
> installation; line 238 looks like this:
>             $result .= eval "qq($val)" if defined $val;

Correction: this is line 237; the number increased by one because of a (at the time of calling commented out) additional line.

Meanwhile I found a discussion thread which looks related: http://lists.pld-linux.org/mailman/pipermail/pld-devel-en/2006-October/018099.html, "apache suffers from some problem with autoconf 2.60 related to expansion
of path variables passed in layout file. ...  it breaks build of e.g.
libapreq2 or subversion"

Any ideas how to work around this? Thanks!

Posted by Tobias Herp <to...@gmx.de>.
Himanshu Raina <ra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If u installed apache from a source code then you can use the following
> switches
>
> ./configure --with-prefix=/usr/local/subversion (could be any path)
> --with-apr=/usr/local/apache2 --with-apr-util=/usr/local/apache2
> --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs (path where apache is installed)
>
> Hope this helps !!

Hi, Hishamu,

thanks for your answer. I tried some of these switches already, but I'm not sure whether or not I tried this combination, wondering which kind of values they expect; I'll do it again, to be sure.

So --with-apr and --with-apr-util refer to the apache installation directory, and --with-apxs (if given a value) refers to the apxs executable, right?
--
Tobias

(replies to the list are sufficient)

Re: svn 1.4.3 and apache 2.2.4: ./configure problem (apxs)

Posted by Himanshu Raina <ra...@yahoo.com>.
HI Tobias,

If u installed apache from a source code then you can use the following switches

./configure --with-prefix=/usr/local/subversion (could be any path) --with-apr=/usr/local/apache2 --with-apr-util=/usr/local/apache2 --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs (path where apache is installed)

Hope this helps !!

regards
Himanshu Raina
Tobias Herp <to...@gmx.de> wrote: Hi,

[...]