Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Kowalczyk <jt...@yahoo.com> on 2011/12/12 20:28:59 UTC

svn: E170001: Unable to connect to a repository at URL svn://

On one system running ~amd64 Gentoo Linux, all svn:// repository URLs return
svn: E170001. I have tested repositories on multiple hosts e.g. Gentoo Overlay,
Zope, etc. to rule out auth issues with a specific server. My other Gentoo
~amd64 systems work fine with svn:// urls.

What dependency of subversion would be involved with svn:// URLs only, such that
a problem with that dependency would not affect subversion's ability to
interface with http(s):// urls?

I have rebuilt subversion, cyrus-sasl and neon. Current versions are:

dev-vcs/subversion-1.7.1
dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.25
net-libs/neon-0.29.6

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: svn: E170001: Unable to connect to a repository at URL svn://

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Jeff Kowalczyk wrote on Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 22:03:15 +0000:
> Daniel Shahaf <d.s <at> daniel.shahaf.name> writes:
> > Jeff Kowalczyk wrote on Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 20:59:00 +0000:
> > > I am now able to access svn:// urls, so the local problem is
> > > masked, although not fully understood. I'd like to follow it to
> > > the cause so I can file a Gentoo bug if needed.
> > >

> > Can you eavesdrop the svn:// protocol handshake and see which
> > authentication methods are being (a) offered by the server, (b)
> > used?
> >
> > Protocol docs in in subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/protocol.
> >
> > > Are there any files under etc/ or ~/.subversion that might
> > > influence subversion's protocol to access to svn:// urls? I had
> > > previously cleared out ~/.subversion/auth FWIW. I'm grasping for
> > > something that might be different on this machine than the others.
> >
> > Does libsasl have any client-side config files?
>
> I will see if I can get wireshark to isolate that traffic.
>
> Re: config files, are those under /etc what you were asking about?

Those don't seem to be "client-side" config files --- except perhaps for
the contents of /etc/sasl2 (if any).

Posted by Jeff Kowalczyk <jt...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Jeff Kowalczyk <jt...@yahoo.com>.
Brenden Walker <BKWalker <at> drbsystems.com> writes:
> Just thought I'd chime in here as I'm on Gentoo and working fine.
> Just did an emerge --sync and double checked my update status.
>
> subversion-1.6.17-r78
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.23-r4
> neon-0.29.6
>
> Those are the latest stable packages on x86 and amd64.
>
> I'm compiled with the following use flags enabled:
> apache2 berkdb dso extras gnome-keyring sasl webdav-neon

Thanks everyone for the help.

Like Branden, I have four other Gentoo ~amd64 boxes with subversion use flag
sasl, and they work fine. This laptop has always worked fine too, until about
2011-12-05.

Gentoo currently removes .la files, IIUC, after the source compilation stage. I
ran the deprecated tool to find and remove them, just in case. No .la files were
found from any package.

$ sudo lafilefixer --justfixit
/usr/lib64/libsasl2.la already clean, skipping update.

The subversion and cyrus-sasl packages are built with the following use flags.
(-sasl configured just now)

dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.25  USE="gdbm mysql pam postgres
sqlite ssl -authdaemond -berkdb -java -kerberos -ldapdb
-openldap -sample -srp -static-libs -urandom"

dev-vcs/subversion-1.7.1  USE="apache2 bash-completion nls
perl python webdav-neon
-berkdb -ctypes-python -debug -doc -dso -extras -gnome-keyring
-java -kde -ruby -sasl -vim-syntax -webdav-serf"

Posted by Brenden Walker <BK...@drbsystems.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Jeff Kowalczyk <jt...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Jeff Kowalczyk wrote on Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 19:28:59 +0000:
> What dependency of subversion would be involved with svn:// URLs only, such that
> a problem with that dependency would not affect subversion's ability to
> interface with http(s):// urls?

cyrus-sasl

(which is an optional dependency, not a mandatory/required one)