Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/04 14:05:23 UTC

Re: LDAP - a simple script that may help with initial account creation

On 04/04/2009, chris <ch...@ia.gov> wrote:
> Sorry, server was down for a bit due to complications with my mail archive
> re-filtering project. (Oops)
>
>  It's back up now and the script has some modifications requested by Tony.
> Added harvesting of uidNumber, gidNumber, homeDirectory and extended the
> objectclass to include posixAccount to accommodate those attributes.
>
>  grab it here http://arreyder.com/pass2ldap.pl

Is the user's public name going to be part of the LDAP database?
If so, the /etc/passwd file is likely to be the best source, as users
can correct this, unlike ICLAS.

Also, note that the e-mail listed in ICLAS is often not the one used
in the .forward file (and may not be accurate anyway, as some of the
ICLAs are very hard to read).

The e-mail addresses stored in

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/MailAlias.txt
and
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/foundation/members.txt

are likely to be more up-to-date, however there are multiple values
for each user. Maybe the e-mail from ICLAS could be validated against
those?

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
El mar, 07-04-2009 a las 08:24 -0700, Paul Querna escribió:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:14 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 07/04/2009, Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>  Thanks for that.
> >>
> >>  For those that do not have an ICLA on file, their account will not get
> >> auto-created.  When (or if) they contact us, we can move to resolve these on
> >> a case-by-case basis.
> >>  No one should have access to any of our infrastructure wihtout an ICLA on
> >> file.
> >
> > Apart from the exceptions listed in noclas.txt?
> >
> > There are some people who don't contribute code.
>
> yeah, there is at least one or two members who have never submitted
> code --  I think we need the hasICLA field in ldap to be the access
> control for svn -- But i guess those people in theory could still get
> email etc services.

I would be courteous with someone that has been elected members. I mean,
membership implies trust and, if they commit without ICLA their commits
could be reverted... though it can be forgotten for a time.

At least, checking the user ids against asf-authorisation to see what
services are going to be broken and warning them could be a possibility.

I think it is not the same case as those people, old committers, whose
account got closed because they were not located or refused to sign an
ICLA, back when.

> Thoughts?

My previous paragraphs should be here and not above :)

Regards
Santiago

Re: LDAP - a simple script that may help with initial account creation

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
Thanks for that.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com> wrote:
> I have now used this to import all users into ldap.
>

> **Skipped 162 entries due to no match for loginID in ICLAS.
> **Skipped 0 because loginid was already found as a uid in LDAP.
> **Attempted to make 1975 entries to LDAP.
>

> So we now have a way to import all users from /etc/master.passwd - As for
> the 162 failed imports, I am working my way through those to see if it is a
> scripting issue, or as it seems more likely an issue with there iclas.txt

When I did the same thing (by hand), I found many duplicated entries
too. Some of them were simply due to some mispelled users (for
instance, mactony instead of pctony).

I guess that some cleaning has to be done at some point. It's easier
to deal with 162 wrong entries than with 2000 !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: LDAP - a simple script that may help with initial account creation

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.

Posted by chris <ch...@ia.gov>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.