Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Willem van de Mheen <Wi...@workspace365.net> on 2022/08/22 14:36:33 UTC

Translation file structure

Hi all,

I'm currently working on improving the Dutch translation of the Guacamole client and I hope this will become my first pull request to an open source project! I will make sure to include translations for the extensions as well, which currently don't exist yet.

As I was working through the frontend translation file, I noticed a lot of times where the same string was used for multiple values/labels. This happens a lot with the labels used in protocols for instance. I've now replaced all duplicates with references to other labels so they are all only written out once. I think this should make the translation process easier and faster. Would you agree or am I missing something important? It also got me thinking: I'm now referring labels based on the first occurrence of a label. This isn't the most orderly solution though. Referring to multiple other namespaces can become a bit messy and a translator who wants to review the translation might scroll past a string value and miss it if it's wedged between references. Would it be a good idea to pick specific namespaces as designated 'sources' (like APP, CLIENT, PROTOCOL_RDP amongst the protocols, etc.) or maybe even go a step further and introduce a kind of 'dictionary' namespace to contain all labels that are used multiple times? Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I want to ask for your opinion.

Met vriendelijke groet/Kind regards,

Willem van de Mheen
Cloud engineer

[cid:image001.png@01D8B63D.150C2F50]

Office   +31307116725 (option 2)
Social   willem.vdmheen@workspace365.net<ma...@workspace365.net> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/willem-van-de-mheen-a6a17131/>
Have you seen our latest news on Workspace 365? <https://www.workspace365.net/en/blogs/>
Berencamperweg 6D | 3861 MC | Nijkerk | The Netherlands