Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/25 20:26:30 UTC

JIRAs adopter query/policy?

As the Geronimo user base grows, it is important that we be able to
distinguish between JIRAs open during a development cycle to those
that are being hit in the field or requested by companies who either
use Geronimo or build products and or plugins on top of it.  So I
suggest we provide a restricted "adopter required" field in JIRA.
This adopter field would be exposed to JIRA users who request and
identify themselves as adopters.  So just like our query for
available patches, we can easily query these and help ensure that
these issues that companies face get the necessary attention and help
resolve them faster then they would be otherwise.

Thoughts?

-sachin

Re: JIRAs adopter query/policy?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Sachin Patel wrote:
> As the Geronimo user base grows, it is important that we be able to
> distinguish between JIRAs open during a development cycle to those
> that are being hit in the field or requested by companies who either
> use Geronimo or build products and or plugins on top of it.  So I
> suggest we provide a restricted "adopter required" field in JIRA.
> This adopter field would be exposed to JIRA users who request and
> identify themselves as adopters.  So just like our query for available
> patches, we can easily query these and help ensure that these issues
> that companies face get the necessary attention and help resolve them
> faster then they would be otherwise.

I don't think that we need to track this distinction.  I cannot conceive
of a problem that this would solve that using Jira as it stands today
does not accommodate.

Regards.
Alan

Re: JIRAs adopter query/policy?

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 25, 2006, at 2:48 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I guess this would be different than the reporter?  Is this
> different than interested parties or voting for JIRAs?

Yes & Yes.  This would be just an additional field just like "patch
available".  I don't think voting would address this.  If there are
50 open defects all of the highest priority, and 10 of them are from
companies seeing a given defect in a field and need a fix for the
upcoming release, we need a very simple way to distinguish between
what developers consider high priority and what users consider high
priority.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Last I checked, Jeff Turner was waiting to see how the upgraded JIRA
install did memory and perf wise before installing any plugins.  I
requested that these plugins get installed:

  * Toolkit ( http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAEXT/JIRA
+Toolkit )
  * Charting ( http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAEXT/JIRA
+Charting+Plugin )
  * Labels ( http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAEXT/JIRA
+Label+Plugin )

To install, these jars need to be added to WEB-INF/lib and the app
needs to be restarted.

I ping'd Jeff about it last week and did not hear anything...

--jason

Re: Re: JIRAs adopter query/policy?

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
fyi

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but this seems to smack of favoritism.  Just because I
> use Geronimo as the platform for my web applications running on my home
> network, or to host my open source project, why are my bugs less important
> than those of the engineers from IBM (or JPMorgan)?
>
> It seems to me that the existing voting mechanism provides both a more
> generic and more finely tuned approach for identifying the number of users
> that are impacted by a specific issue.

I also got the same feeling when first reading it, although I'm sure
Sachin has only the best intentions raising it for discussion.

I feel a combination of setting the correct issue priority (based on the
impact to the user, e.g. a crash with no practical workaround would be a
Critical or Blocker) and use of the voting mechanism could identify hot
issues.

We may need to encourage our user base to vote for bugs (educate them
about the voting feature of JIRA) for this to work.

Regards,

John

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
There are other open source projects that do this.  I'm not trying to
push this, but just wanted to get some input to see if this is
something that could be useful to track and differentiate between
what developers in the community contributing to geronimo are seeing
and what only "users" are seeing.

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.