Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Evan Jehu <ev...@codepit.ca> on 2002/04/08 20:06:33 UTC

Session cleanup

Hi all,

I have a session bean running as a stateful Axis web service, I was
wondering if anybody knows how/if the session cleans up when it expires, how
that happens and if I have to perform any specific actions?

Evan

Re: style="document" rulz!

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by ajack <aj...@openbiz.biz>.
Stan Jordan [mailto:skjordan@worldnet.att.net] wrote:
> Subject: style="document" rulz!
> And style="rpc" sucks!
> To learn why, read this...
> http://www.fawcette.com/xmlmag/2002_04/magazine/departments/endtag/

The author presupposes that having two applications "work" when they get out
of synch is a good thing. I'd call that "silently failing". Personally, I'll
accept if my HTML is presented quite as the remote author intended, but I'm
not so sure I'd like my banking application (or insert any business use
here) be so "tolerant" to miscommunication.

Since WSDL allows for explicit & communication of the new interface
(hopefully commented with version changes, but fat chance I know since WSDL
is typically computer generated) I'd rather things break and I get the
chance to re-evaluate. That -- and/or preserve the old interface, and allow
the new interface for new clients. XML is not some magic glue that
understands when things change. It might still allow a non-validating [or
even validating, if remote schema] parse, and XPath may still access
elements, but the application will not understand the change, and that could
be very bad.

Also -- having spent the last N hours trying to get "document style" to work
I sure like the simplicity of explicit "tight" RPC. :-)

regards,

Adam

style="document" rulz!

Posted by Stan Jordan <sk...@worldnet.att.net>.
And style="rpc" sucks!

Re: Session cleanup

Posted by Adam Greene <ag...@romulin.com>.
Me too.  I added log entries for each time my Session EJB was created,
removed, passivated, activated, and written / read.  I saw it create a new
bean for each session (once I figured out how to get sessions working) and I
saw it passivate and write out beans when it reached the in memory max (40),
but even after the session was supposed to time out (60), it I never saw it
do a remove.  (I waited four hours, well, filled up the in mem max, ran a
couple more sessions and went to bed).  I would have to say that it does not
at this point release the EJBs when the session is over, it does not release
them even if you say they exist only for the request.

This is a problem.